Sunday, February 1, 2009

DAMN these mittens! or Happy Fricken Birthday!

LinkI have this one friend who has been waiting for a birthday present from me for about 30 years. So I said to this friend, I said, "Friend? What would you like?" And her curt reply (curtness comes with 30 years of disappointment), "Mittens." So I went down the street to YE OLDE YARN SHOPPE and bought some soft orange yarn and CO (cast on) for a pair of Dashing mittens for her. Gorgeous, except that I forgot to repeat the pattern on BOTH sides of the mitten. The top of the wrist is plain. PLAIN! BLECHY BLECH!
(the crappy picture doesn't help) It makes no sense. And it REALLY doesn't make sense to knit the other mitten the same way OR to knit the second mitten the correct way and then the mittens won't match.


So.

I CO for another pair of mittens. And I finished the first one and you wanna know something? IT'S TOO SMALL! Yeah. SO there you go. Happy FRICKEN birthday. I don't even want to finish the second one because what's the point. So what I'm thinking is that I'll just give her one of each and call it a day. They're both for the left hand.

Then I'll have another 30 years to make it up to her. Hey Tiff - how are you doing on orange hot pads?

8 comments:

Caroline said...

Awwwww! I feel your pain:(

livnletlrn said...

Ugh. I hate it when my knitting is just extreme suckitude, which is what it's been here lately, so I understand the frustration.

Kathleen said...

Welcome to my world. There is no project that I can make without mistakes and ripping out. Go ahead and rip them out and start over. After you gnash your teeth, you'll be so glad to give her the mittens that you won't notice if she likes them or not. It will be totally worth it to make them. And if you don't you'll have to look at that frickin' orange yarn till you find another project for it.

Make
The
Mittens.

Guinifer said...

Ooo - cranky knitting! That's no fun!

Heather said...

Here, I will rationalize for you... think of it as a treat of a cable, a special, hidden touch on the inside of the wrist, like an expensive parfum.
make the other to match and only those to whom she graces with an outstretched hand (and being your friend, she is undoubtably extraordinarily kind and would do this frequently) would get to enjoy your special touch with her.

honestly, I think that dashing has bad mojo. I had problems getting the sizing right for the Mister and junked them for soemthing with better stretch.
good luck.

wildtomato said...

LOL! Been there, done that! The next time you knit it, it will flow like butter. :)

I've been knitting, and reknitting my husband the same hat now for two weeks. In other words, I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

I just love that you are making me something! I will wear these mittens NO MATTER what - I can figure out 2 left thumbs,missed matched patterns:) This is TRULY the best birthday gift ever!! I love ya buddy!!

Harpa Jónsdóttir said...

I feel for you - but I have to admit you post made me giggle a little too. I hope that does not make me a bad person - no, I think it is a compliment to your writing style.