Thursday, May 21, 2009

Hello, FO in Malabrigo!





Ah spring. I can smell the lilacs even from the ugly asphalt parking lot of our local strip mall. It smells wonderful and fresh.
The crab apples are in full bloom.

I finished a little pink shrug, which is a proto-type for my sisters wedding. There are three flower girls - 2, 5 and 6. I tested out the pattern to see how difficult it would be to twiddle with size and yarn and needles.

And guess what.
This is the easiest pattern!!!!! I used a US 10, a worsted weight yarn . . . achem . . . Malabriiiiigoooooooo with a darling colorway name of "Molly". The pattern is Anthropologie-Inspired Capelet by Julia Allen and it's free! You can also access the pattern through Ravelry.

And NOW I know what all the fuss about Malabrigo is about. I bought the stuff ages ago and found it wadded up in the bottom of my yarn bin. To be honest, when it was in it's coiled little skein, it felt scratchy and, other than the brilliant color, was unimpressive.

However, after knitting with it - I now understand the obsession. It's like knitting with cotton candy, but without the sticky fingers. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. And it makes a wonderful squooshy fabric.

PS. Those darling baby ducks belong to my daughter's first grade classroom. We took them home for one day just after they hatched and gave them their first swim. We also managed to keep the Prince-of-Poopness from eating any of them. I believe they are soon on their way to "the farm" which I choose to believe is a wonderful, happy place full on vegetarian duck lovers.

7 comments:

livnletlrn said...

I'm not a fan of shrugs on grown women, but think they are adorable on kiddos, and you just re-confirmed that belief!

Glorious day in progress here too. As soon as I finish working/surfing ;-), I'm going outside to spread wood chips on my garden and breathe deeply.

marit said...

Great shrug,the colour is beautiful.
You have some beautiful trees there!

Cute little ducks:-)

tiennie said...

That is so sweet on her! Perfect color!

Guinifer said...

Oooooh. Those tiny little shoulders are every bit as precious as those baby duckies!

Neuroknitter said...

Darling shrug! And look at those beautiful crab apple blossoms!!

Happy Spring!

Happy holiday weekend!!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

That is just about the cutest shrug and model ever!!! And yes, malabrigo is sooooooo soft!

wildtomato said...

Oh, oh, oh! That capelet is exactly what I need! My bro is getting married, and I wanted to knit something quickly to go along with my bridesmaid dress. This is it!

It looks so cute on your daughter. What a lucky kid!