Thursday, June 4, 2009

Bad dog! Very Very BAD BAD DOG!

I took Leo outside with me this morning so he could frolic and play while I watered the garden. He has been so good lately. I let my guard down. I did not put on his shock collar. (I know . . . SHOCK COLLAR . . . cruel - Wait till you meet him).

He suddenly took off pell-mell after a fox with me on his heels yelling, "NO! LEO COME!" But instinct had taken over and off he flew through the thickest part of the woods. The fox disappeared as they usually do and Leo slowed down. I had almost caught up to him when I saw this look come over his face.

The look said, "This is it. This may be my only chance to explore this great wide world. I'm going for it!" And he turned and ran for it. Straight through the new development with all the mansions, manicured lawns, real estate agents and construction crews. Full-on run right down the middle of the street with me, now hysterically screaming (and realizing just how out-of-shape I am) chasing after him. I think I may have even been using some horribly foul language. In fact, I know I was using language that would make a sailor blush.

He, of course, heads straight for the highway and I start crying. Crying and cussing . . . and heaving. And good god, I've still got my pink pajamas on.

Guess what saved him?

Coyote poop.

Yup. He stopped to investigate a pile of coyote poop and I pounced on him. I almost killed him. I had to drag, scream and shout him all the way home and now he's in his kennel and I'm shaking and my legs are bleeding from my romp through the woods and it's all I can do not to hook that shock collar up to his wire kennel and just crank it up.

And now - my dog is afraid of me. . . the construction workers are too.

ps. Guinifer, he did get a hold of Loopy, but he sustained no lasting damage. Just dog slobber. I can live with that. He still has his arms and legs intact.

9 comments:

Angela said...

Too funny! Been there, done that! Thank goodness for shock collars.

Neuroknitter said...

Oh dear! I'm glad everyone is home safe and nearly sound!

Pink PJs...right on!!!

I hope your weekend goes better!! :)

Heather said...

W.O.W. Baaaaaaaaad dog! If I'd have been his owner, he'd have been playing on the highway, cause I'd have probably keeled over from a heart attack before we left the woods!

Glad you're ok - have a lil' drinky to soothe your spirits!

Senja said...

Ohh bad doggy! Glad you and him are ok. Thanks for the chuckle though:) I got a good visual of this in my head.

marit said...

LOL! Guess that's why I don't have a dog- I'm in lousy shape;-)
Glad you caught him though! And having constructionsworkers afraid of you can't be bad, can it...;-)?

Guinifer said...

People need to understand, the reason shock collars were invented is Labrador Retrievers - thickest skulls in the known universe!

If it's any consolation? Ozzie wandered off onto the golf course last weekend where (despite the shock collar which is now set at it's highest setting) I found him running and gallivanting between four foursomes who were throwing tennis balls to keep him away from them. arrrgh.

Tonyia said...

Why do we keep these beasties?

Our little one recently chewed into my spindle bag and ate a spindle and a niddy noddy. Yet he looks so cute and is so loving - otherwise he'd be toast. He was afraid of me for a period of time after I screamed about it, but now he's snuggled up to me.

Good luck with yours! These big dogs seem to become more mature and obedient once they reach four or five years old...

Caroline said...

I own two beagles...I feel your pain. It was horse sh$#*...I mean manure that saved our little girl beagle who was trying to make a get away. Oh, and she had time to roll around in it before we caught up with her.

Sonja said...

I agree with Tonyia! Why do we love our pets so much?? Recently my rabbit escaped his playpen while I was away and wreaked a load of havoc on my apartment, chewing, peeing, and then chewing again. It was all I could do not to throw him against the wall and make rabbit stew! I totally understand the shock-collar. ^^