Sunday, April 13, 2014

Which chickens should I get?

I was going to find out how many breeds of chickens are in existence today, but I got lazy so let's just say there are hundreds.

You can go for the ultimate in Adorable with a Silkie.
Silkie photo courtesy of http://www.cacklehatchery.com/silkie.htm

Or show off your hipster side with a David Bowie look alike - the Polish chicken.
photo courtesy of http://ninjakitties.wordpress.com/2012/10/04/bringing-the-urban-chicken-movement-to-reykjavik/
These breeds are fine and dandy if climate is not an issue for you.  In the case of Minnesota, temperatures drop to -30 degrees and can reach 100 degrees-with-humidity.  How do you pick the right breed for your little backyard flock?

Because I live in Minnesota, I wanted winter hardy breeds that could withstand the sub-zero temps of January (ok, and February . . . sometimes December.  And then there was that foot of snow we got in April) without the aid of warm bubble baths and red wine.  These ladies of the coop need to be robust and hardy; fearless and defiant of the north winds.  I spent about a year reading every frickin' book on breeds, stalked blogs and websites and took chicken keeping classes to figure out just exactly what type of chickens I would want.

It's pretty easy if you have a groovy farm store close by that deals with chickens on a regular basis.  They will already know which chickens have been tested tried and true within your climate.  They also have experience with which breeds tend to be quiet and friendly.  If you live in tight quarters with your neighbors, quiet is a necessity.
http://www.thelinemedia.com/features/eggplant12611.aspx
Egg/Plant Urban Farm Store was one step ahead of me.  They already new which breeds do best in Minnesota so when I pulled up their chicken-order webpage - my breeds were already there.  I made a compulsive one-time phone call to the store, ordered my chicks and voila - I was an expectant mother.

I waited a few days before I put this information on my husbands desk.  One must be artful in the arena of spousal manipulation.  In this case, I decided to be direct.  Grill some fish, have an ice-cold beer waiting for him when he got home from work and BOOM - I put the 14 page coop-building blueprint/plans in front of him and told him he had until exactly May 15 to get it done.  The chicks will be 6 weeks old and able to move outside.  Oh, and I forgot to tell you, dear - they might need to be in your home office for part (all) of it

I also gave him first pick of the girls.

He chose the soon to be large-breasted and blonde - Buff Orpington.  Isn't that a great name?  Orpington.  Say it out loud.  ORPington. Nice, huh?  He has chosen the name Jessica Simpson.  She is a sweet little thing with a social nature as soft as her soft yellow fluff. She will be a good layer of large brown eggs.
Jess - the Buff Orpington
This is what a Buff Orpington should look like when full grown.
http://www.thekuhnfamilyfarm.com/id77.html
My 15 year old chose the Lace-Wing Wyandotte - a bold little gal and the largest of the bunch.  He has decided to name this little one after one of his favorite Key and Peele skits.  He can't decide between "Quackadilly Blip" and "Bismo Funyuns".   I'm leaning towards Bismo.
Watchful Bismo
Bismo is the one in focus.  She will be a beaut when she is all grown up.  This is a full grown Lace-Winged Wyandotte.
http://naomisorganic.blogspot.com/p/hens-chicks-ducks.html

My 11 year old daughter chose the runt of the litter - a Barred Rock.  She has the funniest little white rump.  Paste free, remember - but be sure to keep checking those tiny tooters.  So cute.  "Sparkle"
Little Sparkle - the runt Barred Rock
Sparkle will also be a good looking' gal when she matures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Barred_Rock_hen_in_backyard.jpg

And my middle kid picked the Silver Ameraucana and named her Dan.  He's weird like that.
Dan is the yellow gal looking at the camera.
We have high hopes that Dan will lay us blue or green eggs.  Maybe even pink.  We won't know until she grows up into something like this:
http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html
Americauna's are not as consistent in their coloring as the other breeds I choose, but you can tell by the color of chick what they will look like.  Check out the link on the picture to see the difference in chick color and adult color.  One can't always be sure of the egg color, either.  She may end up with plain old brown eggs.  I don't think they are very handsome, either, but she's supposed to be a sturdy, reliable chicken.  And of the bunch, she is my favorite so far.  Curious and friendly.

There you go.  You've been introduced to the flock.

No comments: