Friday, November 21, 2008

34 days to finish my Christmas knits!!! GAH!

Gosh. I'm so sorry. I have been busy with daily life and I haven't had much chance to sit down and chit chat and check your blogs, or leave comments. But I'm still here! And I have a hodge-podge of pics and stuff.

First: My socks for my pops. I think I'm calling them "The Dark of Winter" and they are actually darker than this picture. The yarn is Dream in Color "Midnight Derby" and I'm using Charlene Schurch's recipe for Garter Rib. It's a fast, cool looking pattern. On the couch here, is Lunker's hoodie sweater. It's my first 'big person' sweater and I think I'll take it to Coldwater Collaborative (LYS) and sit with those ladies while I piece it together. By the way, does one block the pieces before one sews it together?


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mother-in-law: Do you let the dog on the furniture?

Me: Absolutely not! Gross!


Come on. He's just so darn cute. That red chair was just MADE for him!

+++++++++++++++

So I am also working on a sweater for this sassy chick. She was angry with me yesterday so she 'stole' my camera and took pictures of herself looking mad and giving mom the thumbs down. She didn't say a word - even put my camera back! So that when I uploaded them onto my
computer I just about died laughing.

Anyway, I was knitting up a sweater for her in true Icelandic Lopi but it's just so darn thick and scratchy and oh, I just know she won't wear it. SO! Guess what! It's apparently all the rage in Iceland to wear capped sleeved Lopi sweaters! Isn't that a great idea?! I snapped a photo of one in a small craft shop in Iceland. I think I'm going to rip out the sleeves of my sweater and just do the capped thing. How hard can it be? (OMG I just jinxed the whole idea.)

This next picture I "borrowed" from Knitty. It's not my picture but it's on my list of Christmas gifts. I'm going to go and buy ugly yarn (green and gold for my Packer fan and gold and purple for my Vikings fan). Yuck. But I think this is a mitten pattern that a boy just might wear. If you have boys, you know what I mean. It's gloves or nothing. But really? Gloves do NOT keep the fingers warm here. And I was thinking I could use puffy fabric paint on the palm side to give them some grip for playing on the playground and catching footballs. Cool, huh? (I did not come up with that brilliant idea.)Photo by Elizabeth Morrison

12 comments:

PJS said...

I love the pic of you knitting behind the wheel.... I know we are running out of time for christmas knits... but really rani :P.

What are capped sleeve jumpers?

PJS

Suvi said...

Oh, I love the angry pic! :D

livnletlrn said...

Every single time I see Dream in Color yarn, I gasp a little at the beauty. Good thing I haven't stumbled across any in real life yet.

Hey, my word verification for this comment is orsockl. On first glance, my brain registered it as "or sock!," which seems like a message from the cosmos, given the standstill on all my other knitting projects and the fact that I picked up Melissa Morgan Oakes' 2 socks on 1 circ book at the library the other day. Haven't knit a sock in ages. Thanks for the suggestion, oh word verification wise one!

Guinifer said...

Those are excellent mittens. I like them very much.

That is one heckuva pout that little girl has goin'.

I have such a difficult time keeping my house clean that if I let my dogs on the furniture all would be lost!

knitting elephant said...

Love all the pics... especially the 'angry' one! Good luck with finishing in time.

wildtomato said...

Your sassy one cracks me up!

I am feeling the Christmas knit stress, too! All my blogging time has turned into xmas knitting time. Oh well, it will all be worth it.

Senja said...

Your angry girl and mine should meet. I've seen that face often here. I love that she took a picture of herself, hahaha. Smart one huh?

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Isn't she too cute!! All mad and everything :)

I've feeling the OMG 34 days to finish Christmas knitting! I love the socks you are making! I'm making a similar pair for my dad!

Caroline said...

Oh,Oh, I'm feeling that "knitter envy" I always feel just before the holidays when I realize that all of those cute Christmas presents I'd planned to knit back in August havent' even been started. Your list looks great.

Heather said...

absolutely... you are supposed to block before sewing together... but I am lazy and hardly ever do. I love the knit clips to hold it together while you sew up. totally worth the 7 bucks. and I love the garter ridge, too. I made myself a pair of socks with it, soooo comfy. I am thinking of making a sweater for the mister with that stitch pattern, would be very manly but not as boring as stockinette.

Heather said...

Wow - you are being SO GOOD for the holidays! I love all the knitting you are doing!!! And how FUNNY is the little one with her camera trick! WOW - stealth mode and all! LOLOLOL!

Harpa Jónsdóttir said...

Capped sleeve jumpers are very popular indeed here in Iceland.

Here are two free patterns :

http://www.istex.is/Files/Skra_0021573.pdf

http://www.istex.is/Files/Skra_0026015.pdf