Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Something frivolous . . .

So I was hanging out, over at We Heart Yarn, and was yet again inspired by the ever-talented Neuroknitter. She is finishing up a pair of socks using a (free!) pattern called Leyburn (pdf). After her suggestion on her post to check out the beautiful varieties popping up on Ravelry, I became obsessed and ended up with some foofy purple/pink, sparkly yarn - and despite being a month behind on a certain pair of navy of socks and a large child sized sweater, I cast on immediately and here is what I have thus far . . .

They will be a pair for my little gal. I had to modify the pattern, which is toe-up - I am not a friend of the toe-up way of thinking. It seems so very wrong. But that's another post. I CO 58 and I'm only doing the gorgeous pattern you see there across the front. The back is just plain old k2, p2 and of course, the picot cuff, which I also learned from Neuroknitter (thanks).

I. LOVE. THESE. SOCKS. Yeah, the color reeks of grandma-yarn from Ben Franklin, but the pattern is so fast and easy to memorize and it is THE perfect pattern to use with a short striped or variegated yarn.

+++++++ I am WAY WAY out of the loop. Apparently, unbeknown to me, there is an entire Leyburn sock knit-along! I found that out on We Do Not Have A Knitting Problem (she does, by the way, have a terrible knitting problem . . . and yarn stashing problem . . . which is why I'm always checking her blog . . .)

10 comments:

Kathleen said...

I like the color and the sparkly stuff. I think these socks will be gorgeous! Maybe you could make a hat to match!?

Harpa Jónsdóttir said...

I think the color is lovely!

livnletlrn said...

Toe-up is very right.

Someday you will see the light!

:-)

Guinifer said...

I don't know about Ben Franklin yarn, but it's definitely a girly-girl color. Sparkles and all.

Neuroknitter said...

You're way toooo kind! Blush!! :)

I love those socks!!! I love the mods you made to them! They are awesome!

I'm so glad you found your way back into the loop...very scary to think you were out of it! If I had known I would've yanked you back in earlier! ;)

Heather said...

ooooh sparkles....

Senja said...

Oh fun socks! I am in love with this pattern too but it will have to wait until I am done with my current love affair with some bulky yarn and a sewater pattern.

Anonymous said...

Those are cute so far! I love knitting toe-up. Took me awhile to get the hang of it but I love it now. I love knitting cuff down too but I always worry about running out of yarn.

IrishGirlieKnits said...

hehehehe...oh that last part made me giggle! Yes, a stash problem indeed!!!

Love love love your modifications to the Leyburn! So pretty!

Leslie said...

Wow, that is a pretty pattern. I must be out of the loop, too, because this is this first Ive seen of it!