Monday, August 3, 2009

I'm back . . . again.

Thanks for all the birthday greetings. And I apologize for my very sporadic and lame attempts at posting lately. I've been so busy (lazy).
My BF bought me this scrumptious suri-alpaca yarn from Livingston, MT. It feels like down and the color is a rich dark chocolate. Problem: there are 50 yards so I'm not sure what to make with it. So, after "conversing" with Kathleen, I bought myself a little gift. Here, let me show you. We can open it together.


Yup. It's a drop spindle and some alpaca roving from Silver Sun Alpaca. Since I've fallen in love with alpaca and it's a bit too spendy to become a habit, I figured I should start spinning it myself. That's what it took . . . suri alpaca. I stayed up last night until about midnight spinning terrible, clunky, uneven, bulky yarn. About two yards of it!

I also watched several Youtube videos and I think I'm ready to start actually dropping my spindle (instead of parking an drafting . . . SEE!?!? I KNOW THE LINGO!) Wish me luck. Kathleen reassured me that actually dropping the spindle to the floor would be normal for the first few days.
That there is my lovely Central Park Hoodie. Knitting with wool this summer hasn't been the curse I thought it would be. Minnesota has had an unusually cold summer with almost NO humidity and temps below 80. Lovely and fall-like, but weird and foreign - and my tomatoes are STILL GREEN. Many believe Minnesota to be cool all year, but our summers are usually steamy and hot. I met a gentleman once on an airplane flying home to Minnesota. He was from Georgia and when we landed, he grabbed a WINTER coat out of the overhead bin. It was August!

"You're not going to need that," I told him.

Wild Tomato, I am still planning the ultimate furmiliation for my new cat, but she still has not forgiven the world for her transplantation. She hates us. She only comes out to play around 11:30 pm and then only with me.
Beware, Lydia, beware . . . mwooo hoo ha ha haaaaaaaaa...... to be cont.

6 comments:

Neuroknitter said...

A new spinner in our midst!! Yay!!

Lovely spindle and yummy fiber! Happy spinning!!

Your CPH is looking lovely!!

Our little kitty does the same thing...bedtime is her playtime!! :)

Kathleen said...

What mysterious and slightly wicked eyes your little kitty has...for now. I'm sure that will change shortly!

I'm glad you are having fun with your new toys! Soon, you and your cat will be thrilling to the chase of the spindle across the living room floor! Chasing the spindle across the room and fishing it out from under the sofa was one of my favorite pastimes - once - but now we have settled down and make beautiful yarn together!

wildtomato said...

That kitty is giving you the stink eye! I can't wait for a beret to go on kitty's tiny little head. Muahahahaha!

Harpa Jónsdóttir said...

Spinning - cool! I'm really going to have to try that someday!

Yes - and a very (belated) happy birthday!

Leslie said...

Belated birthday wishes to you! Looks like you got some fun new things to play with :-)

Kathleen said...

I'm soooo glad that you're a spinning addict! I sent you an invite to a group of Rav spindlers, so maybe you can pick up a few pointers and feel the love of other fellow addicts.