Thursday, August 27, 2009

J'aime tricoter!

My GOD! I'm like a junkie. I AM a junkie. I stayed up until 2 am on a weeknight finishing this yarn. I spun some creamy alpaca . . . (really chunky and irregular) then took the colored stuff and spun that up (thanks to Kathleen for all of her amazing help. Truly. The advice, the links, the inspiration! Thanks to everyone one of you who encouraged me!!!)


Then I took both yarns and spun them up into this glob. I know - it's a ball of yarn that only it's mother could love, but I am in love. It's amazing. I've only got about 24 yards but if I knit on some big-ass needles, I think I can stretch a hat out of it. I may blend it with my yummy chocolate alpaca I got from my best friend . . . who, by the way, has moved away from me all the way to Texas. (hello Skype)

And I ordered some roving with money I. DO. NOT. HAVE!!!!! (don't worry, DyeabolicalYarns
the check won't bounce.) It's diabolically green and I'm loving every inch of it!And about that best friend who moved away - we're planning a rendezvous in France for our 40th birthdays. (She says Italy, but she also says Tomahto and Pohtahtoe). So I'm off to learn French while I knit.

Au revoir!

11 comments:

livnletlrn said...

Totally awesome fun, but you aren't really, truly hooked yet. Wait until that magical moment when you *get* drafting, when the rope-ish yarn becomes finer and finer and finer. Good thing moms don't need sleep. ;-)

PJS said...

lovely. Glad you are enjoying yourself, wait till you knit with your own yarn that's a lovely experience too!

Tiffi said...

I think we can hit both spots. It is our 40th birthday celebration!!
Lovely yarn too:)
Can you knit me a bikini, it's really HOT in Texas!
XO

Kathleen said...

That yarn looks totally AWESOME! The next batch of fiber will be even better. Draft it out a little more next time, spin, park, and draft again. Wait till you knit a pair of socks with your own handspun. And wear them. If that doesn't make an addict of you, nothing will.

Guinifer said...

You are so clever, I am very impressed.

Heather said...

Okay, I'm ready to call you a very rude name for producing such a lovely first skein of yarn. It really looks great, and I'm jealous! Mine sometimes STILL don't look that nice! Congrats!
:O)

marit said...

LOVE the glob!

Neuroknitter said...

Beautiful first yarns!!! How exciting! I'm loving that green!! :)

Pastry/LYS/date night with hubby...you go girl!!! I want to see pictures!!! :)

Harpa Jónsdóttir said...

The yarns look really good! I totally could love them too. How long did it take you to learn to spin?

cupcakefaerie said...

Oh, I love your handspun! The "glob" is gorgeous!

And you gotta hit both France and Italy if you have time.

Anne Marie said...

I'm impressed! Can't wait to see what you will knit with your homespun yarn :-)