Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Swamp Sale/CONTEST WINNER!

On Sunday, you would have found me walking through the grocery store (pre-game) with a smug smile on my face. "Why?" you ask. Because I had just come from the Coldwater Collaborative's annual Superbowl sale. (I was there CKSknitter. I was so there.) All of these non-knitters walkin' around the produce section like their some big stuff. Hoo hoo! Little do they know about the seething underworld of neurotic knitters. (Level 4 knitters for Yarn Harlot fans).

Here's the irony. I bought yarn that was NOT on sale. I know. Laugh if you will, but I've been stalking this yarn for about a year now. It's obnoxious, it's hideously bright and it spoke to me. So here it is in all it's 1980 colors - enjoy. Colinette's Jitterbug in "Popsicle"

Do you want to know something? I actually hate sales like this. It brings out the worst in people. It's like those garage sale ladies that show up at your house at 6:30 am and start bargaining over old socks. Grrrrr. So I'm standing at a bin of some yarn called Araucania Ranco Multy (sock yarn). It's not a large bin. Just your standard 1 x 2 foot bin. I'm digging around in it looking for the most beautiful skein in the world when a woman comes up and starts digging, too! I mean . . . it was awkward. I was clearly there, not wearing my invisibilty cloak and actively looking through the pile and her hands were shoving yarns back into the hole I had created. I almost resorted to violence. I almost socked her (I really did not intend to make such a horrible pun). Are you one of those ladies!? Come on, people.

So do you know what I did? I grabbed a skein the color of swamp and gasped as if I had just found a little piece of heaven. I clutched the puke colored yarn to my
breast and sighed loudly. Then I gaily turned on my heels and flounced my way to the register. I bought it. Who's laughing now, garage-sale lady? Who's laughing now. oh brother.

********************

Thank you all so so much for entering the contest! It was fun to read all of your comments and guesses. AND you broke a record - 18 comments is the most I've
ever had.

CKSknitter is the official winner with her guess of "On Blueberry Hill". We had two "Blueberry" guesses and drew her name from a hat - actually, I held the names behind my back and had my five year old pick a hand. CKSknitter, contact me with your address so I can mail you your prize: rarnarATgmailDOTcom.
THE ACTUAL NAME OF IMAGINE KNIT'S KMNCraft yarn is "Blueberry Pie". Northern Minnesota is a wild blueberry haven. Ely has a blueberry festival every year. This yarn look exactly like a bowl of wild blueberries with the pink you see on the tops of berries and the purple stains on your fingers.

11 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Oh you make me laugh! I just envisioned the lady digging around and you making theatrical gestures about a skein of yarn...

PJS said...

Please knit your march socks with that yarn... if only to let me enjoy it more than I already do!

Hilarious...

Tonyia said...

I Love stories like that! I always end up doing something dumb when I'm crowded in and feeling pressured.

However, I actually really like your puke colored yarn. What is it? I'll bet it knits up surprisingly pretty...

Anonymous said...

I have Popsicle too! Only mine looks a little more green than yours. I love the socks I made from it!!

Senja said...

Wow hard to believe people can be so rude. I like the swamp colored yarn too and your blueberry picture, did you take it yourself?

Kathleen said...

Congrats on your swamp thang find in the bargain bin! Make something gorgeous from it!

Heather said...

mmmmm, Jitterbug... almost as good as sparkles.

cksknitter said...

Wow! I've never won a blog contest before. Thank you so much! I really like your swamp colored yarn. I think The Loopy Ewe carries that line.

Heather said...

Awww, congrats on your first contest! Glad you had fun at the sale. You sure showed that pushy lady!!!

:O)

Kathleen said...

Put the swamp-colored yarn aside for a moment, catch your breath, and come over to my blog to collect you big fat "MWAH!" award!

Thanks for such a great blog!

Caroline said...

I love your 80s yarn. The 80s were good years. I could eat whatever I wanted in the 80s and not get fat. I could wear whatever I wanted and look pretty good in it, even if it was turquoise and orange and red and pink altogether(LOL)

I like your puke yarn too. I'll bet that lady is still jealous thinking she missed out on something.