Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Spring is in the air.


I'm convinced that Winter has a conscience - a wicked one, but an awareness, nonetheless. She is a moody flirt. A tease of the worst kind. She cannot stand the thought of beautiful Spring stealing her show. She waits for us to relax our survival instincts. Waits for us to throw out the snowpants, put away the gloves and hats, store the snow shovels in the basement. And for me, she waits until I have my seed catalogs out in front of me, my notepad and pen in hand, looking out at the dirt that is my vegetable garden.

Then she throws another winter party.

But I know her well and I am prepared. Today, during our springtime snowstorm I am knitting a little hat with warm red wool. The warm color, the warm wool slips through my fingers and I am pretending not to even notice the three inches of snow that is on my front steps. Because I know she will lose out in the end. The sap is flowing in the sugar maples, my garlic is coming up through the snow anyway. The little springtime flocks of birds are patiently socializing around my bird feeders waiting for the snow to melt away.

Spring is in the air.

13 comments:

livnletlrn said...

While you're waiting for that snow to melt, I double dog dare you to show your dh the Terror Fish. :-)

wildtomato said...

Brrrrrrr! I cannot wrap my head around snow in April (says the native Californian).

Senja said...

I love that red! I am feeling the same way about winter. Hang in there!

tiennie said...

That's what spring looks like at the moment here too! Normally I don't mind the snow but I do miss seeing the sun. :)

Neuroknitter said...

Oh my!!! Look at the snow!! Winter is definitely putting everything she has into her final flirt of the season!! (hopefully final!)

I read Seattle has snow...down in PDX just rain and fog...blech.

Enjoy the warm, red wool...gorgeous!!

Tonyia said...

You are a poet. I love the flow of your words, they're very evocative.

Thanks!

(pics are nice, too!)

Tiff said...

Beautiful pictures! I love the way you capture the world around you. What a fantastic gift you have!

Harpa Jónsdóttir said...

Spring WILL come - hopefully soon...

Sonja said...

Wow! And I thought it was cold here... You are a very captivating writer! I love this post.

BTW - I'll be home for 10 days in July!! I hope I can see you and the fam for a bit!

Anne Marie said...

I see you are going through the same winter/spring tug war as I am :-) Wonderful.

Now what surprises me is that you say you grow garlic...does that mean that I perhaps could grow garlic here in Norway as well? What kind of garlic do you grow? What are the criteria to succeed, and how do I do it?

I have bought seeds too :-) Want to try to plant some in my terrace pots. Good advices will be received with a big smile. The seeds I've bought are..."onion chives" (allium schoenoprasum), Oregano (origanum vulgare L), Basil (Ocimum basilicum L.), and Thyme (Thymus vulgaris L.)

...when and if you have time of course ;-)

Anne Marie said...

I can see that you are going through the same tug war that we are doing here :-)

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Brrr!! Stay warm!! At camp all last week it didn't feel like spring...today in CA...75 degrees!

Spring is almost here!

And from catching up on blog reading...love love love the kitchen! Amazing what a touch of color and organization can do! Off to go check out the book blog!

Caroline said...

I agree that Winter can be wicked even in places like Central California where "she's" not that powerful. I'm looking out my window right now as the wind continues to pelt my fruit trees knocking the just-formed plums, peaches, and apricots off by the hundreds:( Stupid wind!