Sunday, August 8, 2010

I. LOVE. SUMMER.

I am trying to juice every last drop out of these warm days.  The best part starts with a good sleep-in.  It's 9:45. 

Who's watching the kids?  The good news: they are old enough to get themselves up, dressed and fed.



The bad news:  the breakfast of choice means I'll have to eventually get out of bed and make them real food.  This is Belle's potato-chips-on-a-bun breakfast.   Mmmmmm.


Despite Minnesota's cold reputation, the summers are generally hot and steamy.  You know the kind of humidity that turns your chip stale by the time it reaches your mouth.


So we're swimmin' with the kids and dog.


I'm also waging my annual garden war with the vermin.  This year, I came up with a plan to protect my ripening tomatoes.  And it has worked!


I slip ziploc baggies over the tomatoes that are starting to turn.  At night I zip them closed and in the morning I zip them open but leave them on.  The chipmunks and rabbits have decided they don't like the baggies.  Tomatoes have been ripening on the vine!  Last night we had a 2 pound Brandywine tomato for dinner with some mozzarella.  I wish I could share it with you.  Summer in a mouthful.




Of course, there is the knitting.  This is Spiraluscious by Anne Hanson.  The yarn is Wollmeise "Poison #5".  It's a neck cowl and it knitted up faster than I thought.  The hem threw me for a loop.  In fact, there was a moment of tears.  But I figured out my mistakes and forged ahead.  I should have this blocking by tonight.  


Until next time!

8 comments:

Guinifer said...

So have Leo's ears gotten stinky this summer? When Ozzie gets to the cabin he never dries off and boy do his ears get NASTY!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

I just love the potato chip sandwich! Now that is summer :) Looks like you and the kids have had a fantastic summer! And those tomatoes...delish!!

Happy belated 40th!! I'm finally catching up on blog reading! HOpe it was fabulous!

marit said...

Enjoy! It does feel good when the kids can be a bit by themselves, doesn't it? Biggest problem here is that they are teenagers, and have turned the day upside down...sleep until midday, and play computergames well into the night...


I like your solutin for the tomatoes- clever!

My kids are almost living in the sea at this time of year! It's way too cold for me, but they are having fun!

Lovely colours in that knitting!

Heidelweiss said...

Oh my gosh. You've been busy and I've been missing out! YuMMMMM! The food looks amazing. The summer fun looks amazing. The knitting looks... well you know. You seem to be a fabulously multitalented woman. Hmph! ;)

Caroline said...

Ha, ha, Love Belle's breakfast. Kai, my sixteen year old would approve. Your tomatoes look great and what an ingenious solution to the lousy vermin problem. My main problem is heat, which sounds funny, but it's been so hot that it burns the leaves.

livnletlrn said...

That sammich is a wee bit pathetic, but she gets a gold star for creativity!

You're going to need a LOT of baggies, but hey, if it works.

Can't believe how fast that Spiralucious knit up.

Mary Lou said...

The potato chips on a bun is great. Maybe you can start a state fair booth. And I may have to try the baggies on the veggies. We have a skunk, raccoon and squirrel problem in my hood.

Leslie said...

That swim looks so refreshing! We've been battling the heat here with a typical heat index between 105 and 110 this week. Not fun! It's hard to believe summer is almost over...school starts next week!