Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My Frog Toes

I finished my toe-up socks, thanks to Chrissy Gardiner's Toe-Up book (thanks Gail!).  My toes are too skinny, so next time I'll cast on more stitches for the start.  Then, I tried the short row heel and the jury is still out on this one.  Again, I think I made it too skinny and I didn't understand the overall construction until I was well under way, so I didn't add any texture to the heel, which I really do prefer.  I think a slip-stitch heel lasts longer. . . . maybe not.


BUT, having said all this, the instructions for the short row were as clear as a bell, and the best part - written so that you can just plug in the numbers from your own pattern.  At first, it looked like a horrible flashback to my 10th grade algebra class, but it really was a cinch.  I think this book may become a knitting-bag staple. 

I did not like the overall finish of these socks but I'll try it again before I give up.  I need to tweak my style a bit.  Widen the heel, widen the toe, add texture to the heel and I think I may really like this.  



SHORT ROW PRO - YOU DON'T HAVE TO PICK UP ANY GUSSET STITCHES!!! YEAH!


THE YARN:  Knit Picks Felici in "Green Veggies" - nice soft, strong feeling yarn.  I had two knots in one skein which was a big old bummer since I was trying to match up the stripes.  Yes.  It was tedious.  But they match, so there!  I loved the self-striping so much that the knots will not put me off.  I'll buy this again.  And you can't beat the price.  $10 for a pair of socks!!

10 comments:

livnletlrn said...

totally fun froggy feet

Celtic Queen said...

Very yummy! If you're really digging self stripers I can't recommend Vesper sock yarn enough! Check it out at Knitterly Things. Beautiful and fun! Her Wee Skein kits are always a treat to play with.

Guinifer said...

I love my gusset heels. Love doing the textured heel flaps, speeding through the heel turn and then picking up the gusset stitches!!! Short rows always leave me feeling disgruntled.

Guinifer said...

oh yea - I love your Kermit socks.

marit said...

Cute!
It took me a long time to really enjpy toe-up socks...I still prefer top down, but I have finally been able to make a decent short row heel. Still prefer a proper heel though!

Caroline said...

The color is great, and so is the price! I'm still afraid of toe-ups, but maybe I should try that book, and I'll become a believer.

Denise said...

Kermit the Frog would love these socks! I've been quite into green lately and might have to get some of that yarn!

Willow said...

Love those socks! They'll be perfect for St. Patrick's Day.

Isn't it great to have a knitting buddy?

Heidelweiss said...

I love these! I have a few balls of knit picks yarn sitting around. I think I'll have to cast on. I've been SO lazy about knitting! Very cute!

Neuroknitter said...

I so love these socks!! They're so bright and happy!!!

You go girl!! You'll get those toes and heel conquered!! :)