Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Friend Who Knits

This weekend was spent up north with some longtime friends and their beautiful children.  We had a relaxing time spent swimming, 

fishing,

and yes . . . knitting. 


This is Mollie.  She started knitting years ago, but it never seemed to click.   You know what I mean - that obsessive gleam we get in our eyes when anyone mentions yarn or knitting.  This weekend, she pumped out a baby sweater in record time and announced that she is now an obsessive knitter.  It's all she wanted to do.  She knit all day and into the evening.  When she awoke, she picked up the knitting off the floor and continued before she even got out of bed.  Atta girl.

I can't tell you how happy I was to have a companion that wanted to sit, knit and talk patterns and yarns all day.  I was in heaven.  


I surprised myself with my teaching skills, too.  I felt like an old pro.  Dropped stitch - no problem.  Purled a row instead of knit - hand it here, I'll fix it up quick.  Can't remember how to cast off?  - I'll show you.  The Debbie Bliss pattern was a bit tricky to read, but we managed to work through it and figure out our way up the sleeves.

What would be the perfect "Next Step" pattern?  I want to suggest something a with a teeny tiny bit of challenge, and something that she can wear so she'll be more motivated to finish.  Is the Clapotis too difficult?  Too big?  Do you have any suggestions?

I finished my green socks thanks to my new Toe-Up book, but they're soaking right now.  I'm not sure about the short row heel, yet.  I think I made it a bit too skinny.  And my bind-off looks horrendous.  I also made a bit of headway on my Luciole shawl.  Pictures to come soon.

All in all, a very good weekend.  Here's to more knitting!


ps.  We would never have kept a fish that big - they need to go back in the water as breeders.  (and they don't taste good at that size) However, this old walleye was netted off the dock as he floated by - apparently about to die of old age. 

4 comments:

Erica said...

Sounds like a great weekend and how wonderful you had someone to chat with about Knitting! "That obsessive gleam"... ha ha! I know it well - almost as well as the zoned-out-dead-fish gleam that non-Knitters get when I start in about yarn or patterns or fiber.... ;)

Neuroknitter said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! Your friend is a rock star knitting in bed like that!! Brava!!

Can't wait to see the toe-up socks and your Luciole!

That last photo is awesome! What beautiful country you live in!!

livnletlrn said...

omg, sounds like a dream come true. The rainbow pic is breathtaking!

Heidelweiss said...

What a fab weekend! That fish is massive! It could have eaten one of your kids! Wonderful that your friend finally caught the knitting bug. Can't wait to see the socks.