Monday, August 2, 2010

Woman smothered by her own cucumbers.

Cukes for dinner, cukes for lunch, cukes for anytime you want to munch. 



Folks - if you have any cucumber recipe ideas - now is the time to share them!  I don't want to make processed pickles because they always turn out mushy and salty.  I made Barefoot Contessa's Provencal Potato Salad and added a boiled egg and a pound of cucumber.  It was delish!

It was a productive knitting weekend up at the cabin.



The sock yarn is Knit Picks Felici "Green Veggies".  I am absolutely in love with this yarn.  It is light, soft and knits up to a dense, tough fabric.  PERFECT for socks.  And it's affordable.  I see much more of this in my future.  Here's hoping that Lumpy doesn't tear a hole in these the first week out of the chute.

 I finished the knitted portion of a fetal wrap but I still have to add a crochet edge to make it a bit more pretty.  The first of many, I hope, to be donated to the hospital that took care of my sister and her loss.  If you are interested, here is a link to the free pattern by Betsy Dey.

I also cast on for a beautiful neck thingy called  Spiraluscious by Anne Hanson of Knit Spot.  I'm using some Wollmeise called "Poison". 

5 comments:

livnletlrn said...

We LOVE cukes in smoothies. Cucumber juice is sooo light and refreshing. I'm sipping a cucumber lemonade right now, actually. Another fave: cukes sliced longways, on toasted grainy bread w/ mayo, salt, and pepper. OMG, yum. Or a gorillasandwich.com. Or a cuke mango salad. I do something like this: http://marisashealthykitchen.com/2010/03/24/cucumber-mango-and-spinach-salad/ only I add sprouts and spicy mustard.

Wish we lived closer, as I just bought a dozen big cukes to carry us through the next few days. Would be psyched to share some of your bounty!

wildtomato said...

Cucumber kimchi! You can omit the fish sauce since I imagine you'd have a hard time finding it there. You could also skip the fermentation and it is still delicious.

Or, Greek salad: chopped cucumbers and tomatoes, seasoned with salt, pepper, and red wine vinegar.

I wish I had a cucumber problem. Instead, I'm buying them like crazy.

Guinifer said...

The Wollmeise project is yummy. The cukes look good too.

knitting elephant said...

We do cucumber salad... diced red onion, cubed cucumber, touch of salt, splash of vinegar, couple spoonfuls of sugar and LOTS of dill, preferably fresh, cut into little pieces so you don't choke on dill. It's really good right away, but even better after it's marinated for a couple hours or overnight. Yum!

PJS said...

Hey rani,

Cold cucumber soup is a great one, blended cucumbers with yoghurt and then the tiniest bit of harissa stirred in at the end.

Or you could always make tsatsiki, grated cucumbers with yoghurts and a little garlic and cream, goes great with baked potatoes or BBQ meat.

In the end you could always try adding cucumbers to a chutney, preserved (yes I know I am ignoring your lack of interest in pickles) as long as you cook the chutney and add the cucumbers at the very end, they should stay fairly crunchy, if you want a recipe I'll happily send you one.

outside of the world of cucumbers, you knitting is gorgeous as always. I like the look of the spiral neckwarmer.