Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Meet Stekkjarstaur (aka Gimpy)

True story.  Iceland has various "Yule Lads" that visit on the days leading up to Christmas.  Strange little men, whose mother is thought to live in a cave and feast on naughty little Icelandic children.  If she doesn't manage to snag a wee one, her grisly black cat stalks the country side in search of poorly dressed children.

Nowadays, the tradition has had some sweetener added to it.  You can find little "Jolasveinar" cards, figures and ornaments all over the place (if you know where to look).

OR, why not knit your own.  That was my big fat idea.  Knit 13 varied Yule Lads using "Yuletide Gnomes" by Alan Dart.  That was one year ago.  I finally finished Gimpy.  Stay tuned next November 2011 for  "Gully Imp" (aka Giljagaur).  So in 2023, I should have the complete set. 


Strange.  But true.

ps.  The boys are wrestling with the dog while I'm in my blog-trance.  Until I heard one yell, "He's got my sock!"  To which I screech, "It had better not be hand knit!" I gotta go!  I have some arse to kick.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

adorable, love seeing the photo of belle with your charming little imp. you continue to amaze me.

mom

livnletlrn said...

These gnomes make my heart go pitter pat. What an awesome pic of Belle w/ yours! Too precious!!

Neuroknitter said...

I love that little Yule lad!! Too cute!

I hope you retrieved the sock without further incident! :o

marit said...

Adorable!

Guinifer said...

Dog or kid arse?

Leslie said...

Oh, I love that gnome! I've seen the pattern and thought about knitting on (just one) but have never gotten around to it!

wildtomato said...

Gimpy looks like the original St. Nick!

That better not be a hand knit sock!!!

Anne Marie said...

LOL!!!! Ohhh you make me laugh!