Monday, March 16, 2009

Crochet Coral Reef (i'm not kidding)

Has anyone heard of this?

Makes me want to pick up my granny's crochet hooks.pic from The Institute for Figuring


This is a traveling exhibit put on by The Institute for Figuring - trying to promote awareness for our endangered coral reefs.

The Chicago Reader has a good little article with some more information about the concept.

If you're on Ravelry, do a search of patterns using the "search tags" or "search projects" option and type in Coral Reef. Or go to "bluesmoothie's" notebook.


8 comments:

Tonyia said...

That is very cool.

But all I can think of is trying to dust the beast!

Caroline said...

Good, now people can make fun of crocheters too. (LOL) People often laugh when I tell them I knit food. I'd say knitting or crocheting a coral reef is worthy of some funny looks too:)

Kathleen said...

Wow! I've never heard of this before, but I do have a book with patterns in it for a completely knitted garden - from flowers in pots to knitted grass...right down to knitted flies and dragonflies...and knitted bricks to make a garden path with.

The idea of a crocheted coral reef is intriguing. If I had kids, I might totally do that for them to play with. Think of the interest in the sea you would generate! I can see science projects springing up from there!

marit said...

Really cool!

Anonymous said...

That is really cool! I would ask if you could make that for me... but I know better! :)

From the last post: Did you know Paul can tie flies? It was his very first job, in fact. I think he was in 6th grade? If the economy doesn't get any better, he may have to go back to doing this!

Lorraine said...

Awesome display. I shared it with my crochet students this week.

Harpa Jónsdóttir said...

Yes I had seen this - but one never gets tired of looking at this wonder!

Neuroknitter said...

Tres cool!