Thursday, September 17, 2009

Make love, not war . . . unless you're wearing football helmets.



I've never really been a football fan. So I was taken back when my kid said he wanted to play. Strange things happen to mothers when their young get out on the battlefield. We wage our own internal battles from the sidelines.

Well, folks, despite my bloggy absence, I am still here and I am still knitting. Here's the proof:
my unblocked, weirdly pink Central Park Hoodie, minus the hoodie.
(did she lay that thing on the sidewalk? - yes, I did)

And then, because we can't just red eat meat, I also added my basic greens:
Good old wool socks for Mr. Darling and his Autumn-Outdoor-Extravaganzas.

Followed by a good side of fruits:


Vintage Mittens in an unidentified Socks-That-Rock (STR) colorway.

b14-27 Jacket by DROPS design
Koigu and Unique Sheep yarns

And this little ditty for my sister's baby which will be here in a month, unless she 'goes' early. I started this in blue and green but we found out it's a GIRL, so I opted for something a little less blue and a little less traditional. The purple will stay throughout the sweater, but the contrasting color will slowly move into cooler colors. It will either turn out to be a masterpiece or a piece of god-awful crap. We shall see. We shall see.

That pink CPH WILL be finished by Oct. 15, which is the deadline for this KAL.

ANSWERS TO SOME QUESTIONS:
YES!!! I know where Chaska is - I'm a neighbor!

Fried green tomatoes are fabulous and easy. Slice your tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices. Dredge in flour (with salt and pepper to taste) and fry them up in a 1/4-1/2 inch of oil. (Some people dip them in an egg wash, too - I skip that step)

Guinifer: I brought the zipper and the sweater to Coldwater in Excelsior and they have a finisher that put the zipper in. It was about $30. (It was worth it - it would have stayed in my UFO cupboard for years...)

6 comments:

livnletlrn said...

love, love, LOVE the drops jacket color combo.

Tonyia said...

My oldest, soon to be 22 (yikes), played organized football for the first time when he entered ninth grade. A bit late to start, 'round these parts. Still, he enjoyed it for the one year he played. It's a mental adjustment to see your own children on a team, and view them as others do. "That's my kid? Looking that mature in the uniform? Whoa..."

You'll love your CPH. It's one of my very favorite sweaters.

Gorgeous baby sweater! Makes me want to start another soft sweet little knit.

Guinifer said...

Love the purple baby sweater and your CPH looks fantastic (zipper in that one too?)

How did you treat the edges where the zipper goes?

You will be surprised at your enjoyment of football. Over the last five years Puck is the reason I have come to enjoy hockey, football and Lacrosse!

PJS said...

wow, the CPH looks fabulous.... nice job. I think the baby jacket will look good.... waiting to see!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

As you know, we are a football family!! Hope your son is enjoying it!!

And oh my goodness! You sure have been knitting!! Love all the projects, but your CPH is fabulous!

Harpa Jónsdóttir said...

A masterpiece - no doubt!

I like you well balanced "diet" by the way ;-)