Saturday, February 13, 2010

Olympic Ceremony Recap by MOI

14 days to the Birkie

Look at the Olympic knitterly glory. That is the official hat for the US Olympians. Get your Cascade 220 out and start copying! This would be a great project for the Ravelry Olympics.Moving on: a blurry picture of the cabled sweater that the US athletes were wearing.

And um . . . I'll shamefully admit that I have never heard of Azerbaijan. There were actually three countries I had never heard of. Shameful.
They had cool pants though.
And a HUGE congratulations to my fellow Icelandic-American people who finally were able to see there flag on national television during the opening ceremony. As far as I know, this is the first time that Iceland wasn't sacrificed for a commercial break. No kidding. All four of them will be downhill skiing. Best of luck.
And I just have to say: Canadians are so cool. Retro hats, lumberjack scarfs - come on. No one can beat that. I love those pompoms. I had one like that in 3rd grade. I distinctly remember defending it against Johnny Olson on the school bus. He would sit behind me and try to pull the strings out of my pompom. I think he's in jail now.
Cool Canadians. Thanks for the party.
Does anyone else think that those torches look like big doobies? Is it just me?
The whole lighting of the torch was sort of a strange let-down. I was certain that the Great Gretskey would be running the torch to the top of a staircase with weeping Canadians stamping their feet and clapping their hands in their moment of triumph. But there were four flame carriers and the torches really did look like huge joints and the cauldron was a gloppy, strange sculpture that didn't work right anyway. Wayne was sweating and looking bored.
The whole big, beautiful show sort of ended with a fizzle.


Enough said.

Let the games begin...

6 comments:

livnletlrn said...

aw, man, I choked on my smoothie when I read about the doobs!

Jesse wants to know what's so funny.

Erica said...

Ooh, I love that hat and foresee one in my future! KAL maybe?

marit said...

...and my son was mad at me because I wouldn't let him stay up until 3am to watch the opening ceremony "live",but instead said he could wake up at 9 am to watch the replay...I woke him at 11....

Caroline said...

Ha, ha, great minds follow the same course. I thought so many of the same things you mentioned. Loved the USA hats, and the ending was soooo awkward. Even thought that the torches did resemble doobies.

Guinifer said...

Did you see Wayne light the cool outside torch? Much better.

Heather said...

Great recap, Rani! I actually HAD heard of Azerbaijan, but only because my sister lived there for most of the last year with her military hubby, and yes, those were some cool pants!! Those paisleys are EVERYWHERE in the country - look closely at woolen "persian" rugs and you'll see them all over. They were probably made by an Azeri. . . :O)