Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Heart of Summer

I have so much to share with you.  First of all, this is the first year that my onions have ever bloomed.  Wanna know why?  These were actually leftovers . . . forgotten onions from last year.  Look at how beautiful they bloom!

Next, I want to show you where my little froggy friend has been living.  This is first class accommodations, people.  I hung this birdhouse a bit low - low enough for raccoons to reach, so no birds have nested here.  Instead, a little tree frog has been renting the pad.  Not bad for a green guy, huh?  Can you see him peeking out of the hole?

We got some beets this year.  Small and delicious.  I think I might pickle these little guys.  They weren't too hard to grow, either.  Just be sure to get them in early.  And plant double what you think you'll eat.  We only had enough for about three small meal sides.

I'm too embarrassed to show you my tomatoes.  I planted about 10 plants but now they have merged into one giant Little Shop of Horrors plant.  I think one of my kids went missing this afternoon when they got too close to the Amish Pastes.  Poor darling.

I have a nifty little knitting project that is full of FIRSTS for me.
This was yarn that was given to me by Imagine Knit who has her own delicious yarn shop on Etsy.  And she's a local Minnesota gal, so that makes it extra special.  "Spice" is the colorway.  It's my first time trying basket weave.  Technically, this is a basket weave rib from Charlene Schurch's Sensational Knitted Socks.

  And it's my first time doing a partridge heel.  It's not perfect.  My next one should be better.

And I'll leave you with what I've been having nightmares about lately.  It has to do with the Ely, MN 4th of July parade.  And if you don't like clowns, then let this be a warning to you.  Do not scroll down further.  You will have nightmares.


There is something very wrong with this.

6 comments:

livnletlrn said...

That frog is stylin'!

That evil drummer bunny clown freakazoid thingy is not!

Kathleen said...

The socks are beautiful and Mmmm!!! Beets! I lov them!

Guinifer said...

Uh. Ew.

Caroline said...

Love the little frog. Can frog's look proud? I think he does!

I laughed at your Glenwood Springs post. We almost went there for the 4th of July this year. My SIL in Lincoln, Nebraska thought it might be a good half-way spot for us to meet, and they knew we loved it there...except for how expensive the pool is, ha, ha. It's still a fifteen hour drive for us though,and we're feeling kind of poor this year, sooooo we stayed home, boo hoo!

I agree with you about my buttons.I think the wood would be better than the pastels even. Mmmmm, now to look for some inexpensive ones, that don't look inexpensive.

Leslie said...

I made a similar pair of socks some time ago...it was a fun pattern!

Anne Marie said...

I didn't know onions had a flower. It is beautful!