Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sunday's Crochet


If you have been reading my blog for a while, then you may remember that I have a slight aversion to spiders.  By slight, I mean full-blown panic attack at the sight of them.  In recent years, I have been undergoing "Exposure Therapy" wherein the patient is exposed to the source of fear and therefore made more immune to the panic response.  Well . . . that's the idea anyway.

My sessions have all taken place at the cabin where I have had several late night sessions with spiders of monstrous size on my way to the outhouse, and yes, sometimes while I'm IN the outhouse.  Also, while I'm sitting on the dock and sometimes when I'm sitting on the porch.  Inside the cabin is spider proof - don't ask me how, it's fairly complicated and involves duct tape.

Why am I telling you this and how does it relate to the fiber arts?  Last summer, I found a drowned spider in my glass of water that I keep filled on my nightstand.  Don't shudder too hard - I found it in the morning, NOT in the middle of the night while taking a sip.  Thank you Lord.
I came across a pattern for a tradition jug cover.  It was probably something they used in the south to cover the lemonade.  That's what I imagine, anyway.  So now that I'm crocheting like a mo-fo, I whipped out my own version of the Traditional Jug Cover from Learn to Crochet (edited by Sally Harding).  I did not have fancy, artsy beads, so I raided Belle's craft bin and found enough to finish the deal.

Isn't it cute?  No more turning on the light in the middle of the night to check for spiders.

What else did I do this weekend beside crochet?  We took our Lunker out on Tonka for some skate skiing.  It was a beautiful sunny day and there are only a few inches of snow, so it was perfect for cruisin' along.  Stella came too and is now soundly sleeping in front of a cozy fire. 


Love to all!

4 comments:

Guinifer said...

Nothin' worse than imagining creatures comin' up the potty-hole when you are perched above!

Senja said...

OMG that thing rocks! I have a friend who needs one of these for her bedside glass of water. I think I won't tell her your spider story as she is just as afraid of them as you.

Once when I was newly preggers I drank out of a glass that happened to have some ants in it. Needless to say I threw up. I feel your creepy crawly pain.

wildtomato said...

You should find some of those evil eye beads that I saw all over Greece to make sure that no bad mojo and no spiders come your way!

wildtomato said...

Also, I'm so jealous of your snow. Tahoe had a bit of snow, then it all melted again. So far, no xc skiing for me.