Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Here's a kicker for you . . . an Icelandic sheep fleece is going to set me back fifty bucks.  Plus, I have to buy carders.  That's another $60-80.  A spinning wheel will cost several hundred dollars.  Top that off with lessons and my total cost of a finished pair of mittens from a raw fleece will set me back about $800. 

No sane person would do this, right?  The other day, I found myself covered in manure, fuzz, lanolin and bits of hay.  I'm draining our already strained bank account and I'm probably going to end up with a pair of itchy mittens that one of my kids will loose on the school playground the first day it snows.  And then I find that the lamb fleece I'm washing is not long enough to be spun.  Chalk it up to a learning experience.  I now know how to wash fleece.
Carl Larsson - Little Girl at Spinning Wheel
Why am I still determined to see this project through?  It is a bit of the inherited stubborness?  Is it the historian in me?  I was actually dropped on my head as a child.  That would explain a lot.  A lot.

I eat steak.  It doesn't mean I would like to go out and shoot myself a cow, skin it, gut it, butcher it.  It's bad enough that when I want a pair of boot socks I grab a $20 skein of yarn and spend a week (or two) knitting a pair.  I can't count anymore the number of friends that wonder why I don't just run to the store and pick up a pack of socks for $10.

Why do we make cookies and cakes from scratch when we can buy a box and 'just add water'?

I have a bee in my bonnet to sheer the sheep and ride the fiber train all the way through to a finished product.  Actually, I'll just watch the sheering.  I'd like to think my great Icelandic amma is smiling down on me when she's probably laughing at me instead.

6 comments:

Erica said...

The more effort you put into something, the better it comes out. This is why we make things starting with what is attached to the sheep and this is why we make cookies from scratch - they feel better and they taste better. Respectively speaking ;)

Harpa J said...

Oh she is smiling, I'm certain of it.

farfromharmfarm said...

i agree, she is smiling...possibly beaming.

Caroline said...

I'm so excited to read about your interest in spinning. I'm going to follow your lead.

Heather said...

That's awesome - welcome to the raw fiber craziness! It is a wonder to behold, and very satisfying . . . oh wait - I still don't have a finished product that started at the raw fleece state with me. . . .hrm. . . .

:O)

Kathleen said...

Oh! I have a wheel that looks just like the one in the painting! Yay!