Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Lots of Doo Doo

OK OK! I'm back. I don't think anyone really missed me because it seems that all my bloggy friends are quite busy this time of year. We have been doing constant clean-up after Leo - who is doing his best impression of an out-of-control soft-serve ice-cream machine - from his back end. And I'll welcome advice (yes, we've crated him - yes, we take him out after every meal, playtime and every 20-40 minutes).

My consolation is that the vet said, "This behavior still falls under 'normal' for an 11 week old puppy." In fact, the vet told me to set our alarm every 2 hours during the night. This was met with my stony silence and then,


"Set the ala . . . . every 2 . . . . are you . . . . . am I . . . "

"You know, " said the vet sweetly, "It's just like having another baby."


"But we . . . . I . . . "


"OK then, we'll see you next week at Leo's appointment. And good luck."


(Guinifer, you were brilliant to wait).


And do you know what I found him chewing on?!? An OWL PELLET!!!!! Do you even know what an owl pellet is!?!?!? Well I do NOW - it's owl vomit and it looks like a ball of fur with tiny bones from mice and voles. Where is he finding these things?! I'd
return the damn dog, but when I sit down on the floor, he flies across the room, abandoning his current chew toy and promptly curls up in my lap. See?It's so utterly charming and disarming that I can hardly stand it! Damn, he's cute. I won't give him back just yet.

Now moving on. Imagine lovingly knitting a pair of socks for your 7 year old (foreshadow: this is the kid who pulled out my needles from my choco-socks to use as light sabers). You finish them around 11 pm, sneak into his room and tenderly put the socks on his chubby little feet. You hear h
is joy upon waking and finding new socks on his feet. An hour later, there is a gaping hole where he fidgeted with a snag, snapped it and then unraveled it "to see what would happen". (insert red angry face)Do you think I can fix it? The ladies at Coldwater Collaborative challenged me to fix it myself (instead of paying them to do it). They said that if I did, I would most certainly promote my knitting prowess to a whole new level. They suggested KITCHNER stitch, but what do I do with the broken ends!? Advice? I'll keep you posted.

My niece's socks turned out to be too tight, so I'm giving them to my Belle who has
skinny little legs and feet. They turned out nice - except I did not bother lining up the self-striping yarn. Too lazy.
CO 48
Needles: US 2
Yarn: ONline Supersocke 100 Holiday Color 90 (Self-striping)
Pattern: basic sock
size: child 13

And so I'm off. It will be another week, I think, before I post again. Keep on a-knittin' (or sewing or whatever it is that you do).

PS.
1. Another crafty idea to add to your Christmas list: Recycled Christmas Stocking
It's a great way to use up an old wool sweater. Check it out from Fluffy Flowers. (Beware: Loads of yummy, handmade items for sale!!)

2. "Pay it Forward" - this is a really fun thing to do. It is a random act of kindness in which you send someone a secret package of something you made. And you may receive one, too. Check this out at "And Sew It Is". You don't have to be a knitter!

11 comments:

Michelle said...

My Cat had a similar problem. I switched his food to a cooked meal called urban king...the dog equivalent is called urban wolf. Might help keep him solid which also helps with the panic of accidents...just until he is a bit older

Guinifer said...

Yea - I didn't want a puppy chewing on my Christmas tree, presents, slippers, wrapping paper and ribbons - lord - I'd be at the vet twice as much!

PJS said...

ah haha ahah.... You had me giggling start to end. I just love the puppy antics and I know exactly where you are. Fabulous (insert big cheesy grin). Sorry I dont have any good advice and all I can do is giggle.

I have to say training White Fury (aka Hamish the wonder dog) was surprisingly easy, though he was older. There I go being helpful again.

The socks are awful. I can't believe it! Being a sock novice I dont really have any advice for you about that either. My lazy course of action would be the sewing machine.

Hang on in there.... oh and btw... we did miss you

PJS said...

PS.... The title of that post really was 'lots to doo doo'....


:):):):)

PJS said...

Alright alright, my 3rd and final comment, this time I will try and be helpful.

THE SOCK : how about (these are my mad ramblings so no need to take notice) you do kitchener stitch and then the loose ends you do a form of tight sort-of satin stitch on the stitch after the loose end to hold them in place. I mean, catch the unraveled stitch with a satin stitch and hope that it will stop further unraveling.

I promise not to comment on this post again.

Most humble apologies,
the sock novice :)

Tee said...

I do know what an owl pellet is, why because last year my then fourth grader asked
"Mom can I borrow your tweezers?" Me -- "Why?"
"I need to take them to school to dissect an Owl Pellet"
Me - "A what?"
Next, she provided the same description that you did, basically an Owl hair ball, but stressed that they had been 'sterilized" for this school project!
I proceed to get sick to my stomach which she picks up on and says "Mom, I really need them my teacher said..."
Me --"Grab your Dad's - they're by his sink."

Leo is darling, hang in there!

Senja said...

Rani, Thanks for reminding me to not get a puppy anytime soon :) I've been thinking of it but we need to wait. I'm not ready for another baby in the house. Bummer about the socks. I like the not matched up striped socks. Dare to be different.

PJS said...

OK, so I lied about it being my final comment....

What did you do with the socks?

Neuroknitter said...

Great post!! Leo is adorable!!! I love the bug's eye view picture of the socks on Belle!!

Heather said...

Awww, stick in there with the cutie pie puppy. I'm laughing really hard, though, imagining him still attempting to sit in your lap when he's a grown doggie! Very cute mental image!

Anonymous said...

You are so right, Leo is way to cute to send back....