Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Some Dead Yarn

According to my husband, I've made two blunders in our relationship. The first happened shortly after we started dating and I mocked Bob Dylan and did my rendition of his "We Are the World" whine. He tells me now, that he almost considered this a deal breaker if it hadn't been for the fact that I sat obediently through the entire "History of Rock and Roll" and apologized to K about my ignorance. Bob is not a moron.

My second blunder came when I showed him my socks. These socks.


And asked, why on earth did they call this colorway "Fire on the Mountain".

He responded without hesitation, "Probably after the Dead, dummy."

"What dead?"

I got his attention. "The Grateful Dead. Ever hear of them? 'Fire on the
Mountain' is a song?"

Me, "Never heard of it." Blunder #2.


For any of you that are still wondering what the hell I'm talking about, Fire On The Mountain is a Grateful Dead song, and if you are married to a man who still wears tattered "Dead" t-shirts that may be 15+ years old and you don't know this tidbit of information, well . . . that is serio
us grounds for a deal breaker, as well. Sorry honey.

ps. that pretty picture of the frosted green leaf in the last post is not mine. I stole it off the Internet. If I can remember where I found it, I'll give credit where credit is due.

ppss. I also stole all those pictures above . . . except the sock pic. If I don't post soon, it may be because I've been incarcerated for plagiarism. I'll send legit pics from the clink.

UGH, hubby is annoyed that I used the wrong album cover. Sheesh.




AND NOW . . . Drum roll please,

The first shipment of the Seven Deadly Spins sock club:

15 comments:

cksknitter said...

OK, I officially have regret for not joining the Seven Deadly S(p)ins club. What was I thinking? Jen's packages are ALWAYS awesome. Congratulations on being smarter than me!

Anonymous said...

I wouln't have had a clue about Fire on the Mountain either. Maybe that's why I'm still single. :)

OMG, I can't wait until my kit gets here. I'm so glad you posted the spoiler picture, because I'm so impatient and just couldn't wait to see any longer. 4 skeins huh?? Interesting concept.

livnletlrn said...

oh my dear Rani, not only is FOTM a rocking good sock colorway, but it's a rockin' good song! Having seen over 100 Grateful Dead shows, I've enjoyed my fair share of versions of this particular tune, so I HAD to buy the yarn when I saw it a couple of yrs ago. Enjoy!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

I would have made both of those blunders too! Thanks for educating me a bit :) I continue to make them and my boyfriend gives me that look and says, "Seriously. You're kidding right." And then I ponder whether or not I can bluff my way out of it. Oh well.

Love love love the Seven Deadly Spins package. Its going to be a tough year watching those lovelies come in...kinda like the first year that I didn't join the Rockin' Sock club. Live and learn, I guess. So pretty!

Guinifer said...

Oooooo, I am sorry I resisted that temptation now....

Guinifer said...

Oh - also? Tell your husband that Bob Dylan may be the poet of his generation, but the man sings through his nose - badly.

picperfic said...

oh your blog posts are so fun to read...I love those socks so much, I must make a start on them but I don't think I will be able to start anything new until mid to late May...Oh and that sock club parcel looks gorgeous, how come it contains so many different colours of yarn?

PJS said...

AH ha ha ha.... lol... I love the 'deal breakers' I have to admit I am NOT a fan of BOB, but respectfully recognize his role in music history.

I have to say.... I had NO idea why the sock yarn was called 'fire on the mountain' lol. My man and I have our moments when I go 'huh?' and he gracefully explains key parts of the 20th cent to me. It doesnt help that he was an 80's teen and I wasnt.

Belinda said...

Oh, I can't wait for mine to come in! Usually, I do not go looking for sock club kits so I can be surprised but I had to look! So many colors! I am so glad that I got in on this club! Yippee!

Neuroknitter said...

You're not alone! I didn't know that FOTM was a Grateful Dead song...Your sock pic is lovely!!!

And look at that new offering from Jen! Mercy!! Beautiful yarn, awesome packaging! The pattern looks outstanding!!!I'm with IGK...live and learn!!

Happy knitting!!

Heather said...

another ignorant one, here... especially since I didn't know about that sock club...

Heather said...

Wow - thanks for enlightening me. Cause I was wondering the same thing about the "Fire on the Mountain" colorway. Didn't look like fire to me! And, uh, that sock club? If that's the first shipment, I clearly can't afford that club!!

:O)

Lorraine said...

LOL - does your husband do the "sheesh, she's ignorant" eye-roll thing, too?

Uh, I was listening to jazz and classical when I was a teen, being the non-conformist, artsy type.

The only consolation that I have for not signing up for that club is I just got my invoice for Woolgirl's club and am counting the days until the first shipment arrives.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are almost done with your March socks! I love them!

Kathleen said...

I didn't know about fire on the mountain. Bob Dylan's hayday was before my time. I just caught the tail end of it when I was a kid in the sixties. Dylan, and Buffy Saint Marie, Joan Baez, and Ian and Sylvia. I heard them briefly and then pffft! That was all, for decades.

But Fire on the Mountain socks rock! Love the colors!

I tagged you yet again: http://fuzzknitter.blogspot.com/2008/03/another-meme.html