Monday, July 28, 2008

We're back!




We're back, new and improved - smelling of fish and dusting volcanic grit from our clothes. Iceland was magnificent. It is a place of magical beauty - waterfalls that defy the imagination, glaciers, mists, flowers, sheep. But also a darkly beautiful side - volcanoes, steep roads, vulnerable towns perched between avalanche zones and moody fjords. While we were there, a tour boat witnessed a minke whale being attacked and killed by a pod of killer whales. Two polar bears washed up on the shores this summer.

But the Nordic gods were glad we were there and blessed almost every day with sunshine and warm weather. (The mist was beautiful, too - truly Icelandic). An Icelandic friend came very close to winning the big national golf tournament and she's only 16!

First on the agenda: Did I find any yarn stores?

Answer: No. But don't be disappointed. Here was my mistake. I was looking for shops that specialize in yarn and didn't realize that yarn is still a part of normal, every day shopping. Guess where I found yarn - grocery stores, gas stations and my favorite yarn supplier - the local flower shop in town (Neskaupstadir). Here is a picture.

Do you see how they wind their yarn? Isn't that cool? I've never seen that before. It's true Icelandic Lopi and when you knit with it, you have to double strand this, so the disk is designed so that the yarn can be easily pulled from the center and from the edge. I have two ideas for my first Icelandic lopi sweater, but I left my other 3000 photos in a pocket of a jacket that was left behind at another farm called Krokur. (don't fret, my in-laws are still there and are bringing it back). We had a darling visitor to our farm named Arna and she had a sweater on that . . . well, I'll tell that story when I get the pictures.

So feast your eyes on some Icelandic scenes:goofing off at Sellfoss

brotherly love


If you're Icelandic, this picture needs no explanation. However, since most of you are NOT, this is the Icelandic Pylsa or hot dog. If you love lamb and you're a hot dog connoisseur, then Iceland is the place to be.


Hiking Sellfoss.


One big goofball in Reykjavik.

I promise to post more pictures, as soon as I get them back!

16 comments:

Heather said...

Awww - nice pics. Can't wait to see the rest. Your family must have really entertained everywhere you went with the jumping shots!!

Anonymous said...

You amaze me! You are beautiful, raising beautiful children, taking beautiful photos and writing the charm of the trip in a few words. Happy I know you.
Nama

Guinifer said...

So is gravity not as strong in Iceland? Love the jumping theme!

wildtomato said...

Love the jumping photos! Iceland looks picture perfect.

Neuroknitter said...

I love, love, love that top shot!! I wish I were there now...I'll have to put Iceland on the must visit list!!

Love your photos! Love your writing!

Can't wait to see more!!

marit said...

I am green with envy...LOL! Iceland is amazing, and your pictures are great! My sister and her family came back from Iceland a week ago after visiting friends- their first visit, but not last, apparently! It's a great country with lovely people. So glad you had fun(and even found some yarn!!!)

Anonymous said...

You all definitely looked like you had fun!

Senja said...

That looks like a fun trip, glad you are home safe and can't wait to see the rest of the pictures. Great first picture too;)

Caroline said...

Welcome home. It looks and sounds like you had a wonderful adventure.

knitting elephant said...

Welcome home! What a wonderful adventure! I think if I found GOOD wool in a grocery store... well I might have keeled over just at the sight of that wheel. :-)

Heather said...

Oh! How beautiful! I love your daughter's look in the Brotherly Love pic. Classic.

Guinifer said...

BTW - our errant hunt puppy is home - he's still a pain in the neck, but at least he's a trained pain in the neck! He's a good boy! I asked Rob about Leo - heh - he said he's a good eater!!!!

Leslie said...

Sounds like a fabulous vacation. I love all your jumping photos!

Harpa Jónsdóttir said...

Great pictures - especially those from Skógarfoss...
Your trip sounds like a lot of fun - but you could have knocked on my door when you were in Vík ;-)

Lorraine said...

Such a cool trip. Did you find replacement mittens for the one I recreated a pattern from? Okay, lousy grammar but you know which mitten I mean.

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Wow! Such green!! Those pictures are gorgeous! Can't wait to see the rest of them...sounds like you had a fabulous trip!