Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Birkie Knitting

This weekend, we took a family trip up to Hayward, WI to watch the hubby come over the finish line of the NA Birkebeiner. (cool slide show) We're very proud of him!


There were even races for the young Birkies-in-Training.
Moi'? I don't exercise. I get irritable and grouchy when I have to jog with the dog up to the mail box. So imagine my surprise when I shook hands with four other women after a few too many glasses of wine. I had taken an oath to ski in next years Kortelopet, which is about half the distance of the Birkebeiner, yet still a daunting distance of 23 K.

I turn 39 this summer, so skiing the Korte is supposed to be some sort of sick and twisted 40th birthday gift to myself, according to said girlfriends. I'm already grouchy just thinking about it. In fact, I don't want to talk about it anymore.

I did knit, though. It's a little Birkie hat for my daughter who is at school right now, so I can't take a picture.

10 comments:

livnletlrn said...

I hear you about the exercise. You could just claim that you were confused - as I've been both times when you've blogged about this event (I think I remember it from last yr) - that Birkie is short for BIRKENSTOCK, my beloved clog footwear in the winter and sandals in summer. So that would mean you agreed to a sandal-buying event! ;-)

Guinifer said...

Congrats to the hubby!
Yea - it'd take a heckuva lot of wine to get me to agree to xx ski anything! Did you bring the pup along?

Neuroknitter said...

How fun! I remember this event from last year! Great pictures!

Good luck with that 23K thing! You can do it...you can get rid of the grouchies with a fiber fix at the end of the event!!!

Anonymous said...

HA Ha Ha HA HA HA HA Ha HA HA!!!!!!!!!!
I may have to go to this just to watch you go!!!

Kathleen said...

Uh...yeah. 23 K is a little long for me, too. But it's skiing...you can do it! Skiing is cool! (I think - I've never done it before.)

I'd definitely have a fiber fix and a large glass of my favorite brew waiting for me afterwords.

marit said...

That's the reason I never drink- out of fear of "promising" something like that... (I don't ski either, and haven't done so for at least 25 years...thankfully we live on the coast where there is almost never any snow!)
Good luck;-D

Heather said...

Are you INSANE, woman? Turning 40 is exercise enough (I'm beat, just from successfully making it to almost-38), so why the heck would you sign yourself up for that??? Silly, silly, knitter, you!

Tonyia said...

Love all the hats!

You'll do fine with the race. When I turned 40, I ran Grandmas Marathon - my first marathon ever. It was a great way to welcome a fabulous decade of life. Go for it!

Lorraine said...

LOL - I didn't run a marathon but I did run a 5K for my 40th.

You can do it.

IrishGirlieKnits said...

How cool is that?! Congrats to hubby and for you for taking the challenge!! You can do it!!!