Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Brown Paper Packages Tied Up With Strings

This really is a brown paper package and it's tied up with string. There is a wonderful woman from Norway with an amazing blog "On The Needles" - really, amazing - I'm not just saying that like it's some old cliche. She lives in a fjord in Norway and paints a lovely portrait of her life there, among the sheep and the children and the boats and the weather and, of course, her knitting and sewing.

A few months back, Marit asked for 'volunteers' for a Pay-It-Forward. Are you kidding me? I said YES! And so yesterday, I found a brown paper package with Norwegian stamps and I jumped for joy.This is a bit of the card that her daughter made for us. It is just so . . . so . . . Norwegian!
There were two skeins of lovely Norwegian wool in a deep evergreen color that will make a toasty pair of socks . . . or maybe mittens. . . Hmmmmm. I'll have to think about that.

She made tiny stockings for each of my children with their name stitched on one side and the year on the other. There was chocolate and lollipops - I did not get my camera in time. The candy was devoured!
There were treats for my husband and myself as well. She had also sewn little cone shaped bags (I call them May-Day bags, but they must have another name). And there was some chocolate involved there, too. I'm not sure - we eat chocolate so quickly here that it really was all a blur. I have a new favorite chocolate - Krokan Rull by Freira. Ooooooooh so fudgy and delicious with bits of toffee to boot.Now, best of all - she stitched up a fabulous bag - lined with bright fabric and pockets for all of my knitty things! I think I'll use it as my school bag too. It's huge, roomy and sturdy. I. LOVE. IT. It smells of lavender because she also included a luxurious bar of soap made by Norwegian nuns. And it's MINE ALL MINE! I plan on lighting some candles and having a nice hot bath soon.

Marit, you are an angel! God Jul to you and yours!!!!!!!

HAPPY KNITTING!





7 comments:

Guinifer said...

I vote mittens out of that lovely yarn!!!!

marit said...

So happy you liked your package!
I'd say mittens too out of the yarn- or a hat.

God jul/ Gledileg jól!

Senja said...

Mittens are my vote too, what a lovely package!

PJS said...

WOW... looks like you had fun opening it all up. I have to say, I love Marit's blog too.... I cant imagine what it must be like to look out to a view like that.... wow...

IrishGirlieKnits said...

A favorite thing indeed...thoughtful packages filled with lovelies! So so thoughtful!

Tiff said...

I love this - what a fun suprise!!

randi K design said...

You are a lucky girl!! Nothing taste as good as Norwegian chocolate!! I fill my suitcase every time I go home.
Have a Merry Christmas!