Friday, January 8, 2010

All is well that ends well.


I will talk about knitting today. But first, Leo is back on his feet and eating his merry way through a bag of dog food. Catastrophe avoided. No knitting ever emerged from his tail end. Lucky dog, that's all I'm sayin'. The only residual pain is from the vet bill.

There seems to be a New Years theme: Let's just find out how indestructible the labrador is, shall we? Guinifer also had a mutt-catastrophe of sorts (oh, and a yarn binge) and all of this reminded me of the time our old dog Ruby ate three pounds of chocolate. We called the vet and they told us to induce vomiting immediately by pouring hydrogen peroxide down her throat. She guzzled the peroxide down like it was a cold beer and the only thing that came up was a slight burp. She lived another 6 years after that and died of old age. Figures. Labs are highly destructive/indestructible animals and we love every last smelly hair.

So here we are:This would be a Lacy Baktus (free pattern and thanks IrishGirlie for the tip). This is a fast, easy pattern. Really. Easy. And easy to memorize, too. If you can knit, knit two stitches together, and yarn over - then you're all set. I used a US 3 needle and the last skein of Misti Alpaca Pima Cotton & Silk Hand Paint left over from a Clapotis. I did not use the whole skein. The beauty of the pattern is that you can probably use just about any size yarn/needle you'd like. Try it! Use up some of that stash this weekend. It's almost done. Won't even need to be blocked.

I mailed off the baby sweater and had a nightmare last night that the baby was two years instead of three months old. The nice little wood buttons I had did not fit, so Coldwater Collaborative stayed open late (just for me!!) so I could buy 93 cents worth of tiny buttons. LOVE that store. I preferred the brown wood buttons, but what the heck. It's done.

Thanks for all your funny and helpful comments. Love you all.

5 comments:

livnletlrn said...

lacy baktus has been calling my name for a while. I even cast on and did a tiny little triangle of it at one point, but then something else must've caught my attention. Love your sunshiney one.

PJS said...

Yey.... Leo lives to chew another day... good to know.

I love your Baktus... looking forward to seeing some handspun

Guinifer said...

So, so glad to hear it! My husband will tell you, I was worrying about Leo last night when I came to bed.

Poor Kona had a hole the size of a 50-cent piece in his thigh. Puck heard him crying out in the back yard when he did it. Pretty indestructible altogether, these boys.

Caroline said...

So glad to hear about Leo. Your post with the dogless ball was so poignant. We feel the same way about our beagles although I don't think they have quite the destructive capacity of labs; they're close though!

Oh, and I love the baby sweater too.

Leslie said...

Both of those projects are so pretty! Is the baby sweater pattern a vintage one?