Friday, August 17, 2007

Knittin' Away

Fishing with Grandpa
I'm back. New and improved. I was away "Up North" with my parents and the kids. I tackled a new knitting project and a definite challenge. Here it is:And here are the specs:
Pattern: Friday Harbor socks from Knitting on the Road by Nancy Bush
Yarn: "Golden Ticket" Superwash Merino/Nylon from Project Spectrum Sweet Socks
Needles: US 2 for the cuff, US 3 for the rest (I had to change to bigger needles because I knit tighter than Ms. Bush.
I am trying to come up with a name for my socks. Golden Snitch? Butter Beer? Butterscotch? or stick with Golden Ticket.

A few glitches in MY system. My YO (yarn over) stitches are huge, horrible gaps. Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the row following the YO row, should I be knitting these stitches tbl (through the back loop - see, us knitters have cool jargon, too - word up). I mean GAH! Look at these holes!Also, my k2tg (knit 2 together) looks fabulous, if I do say so. However, my ssk is all a mess! Take a look! I think I can fix this by decreasing using a slip one, knit one pass the slip stitch over, instead. Is there any reason why I can't use this stitch?Ruby on the front porch.

8 comments:

Neuroknitter said...

Oh Rani! Your FH socks are gorgeous! Wowee!!! I can't wait for your next installment of pics! Your trip up North sounds wonderful...I'm envious! Knit on!!

renee said...

Your holes don't look that big to me, but knitting through the back loop will close them up, if that's what you prefer. You can also experiment with how you wrap the yarn to make the YO - you might be able to do it with less yarn and make it smaller.

You can definitely substitute a SKP for a SSK. You can also try knitting two together through the back loops and see which works best for you. You can also work on tugging a little to tighten it up.

I like the name Golden Ticket, but I also like the name butterbeer for those socks!

Lavender Vablatsky said...

They are looking great! I think you can use the sl 1 psso, its has the same outcome! LOVE that color, and as for the name, golden snitch... I think that cute!

Heide said...

I always use that same substitution myself for the exact same reason and so far it's worked perfectly. I don't know if this is condoned by professional or experienced knitters though. The socks look splendiferous, I love the colorway.

Kathleen said...

Great looking socks! The yarnover holes aren't horrendous, they are LACEY. How does everyone take such beautiful photos? Mine always turn out fuzzy and dark. Wah. I cast my vote for the Golden Snitch name.

Heather said...

your yo's look ok to me, I don't think you want to twist them, they won't be elastic and they are meant to make a hole. and I personally think that ssk's are just ugly in general, anyway. but yeah, the s1,k1,psso is the same thing, just english vs. american. do what moves you. Oh, and don't sweat it. they are gorgeous and I love love love the golden ticket.

Rowena Acromantula said...

Ok, I'll try again. Thanks for the comment on my blog, I didn't think anyone except the deputy head read it :-)
By why do you feel you need an experienced knitter looking over your shoulder at a retreat? If it's about the socks coming out at different gauges, don't worry about it we all have off days. If you read my latest posting you see I've had a couple of 'bad days' recently lolol

Lorraine said...

You're being a little too hard on yourself. The socks look fabulous to me. I agree it is perfectly acceptable to sl 1, k1, psso. Many people prefer it. Also, keep in mind that once the sock is washed and blocked, it may look better to you.. A bit of the YO length will get pulled into the surrounding stitches. Not a lot but some. That's why older knitted garments look so even and wonderful. All the uneven tension has equalized itself over time.