Friday, August 10, 2007

Socks and Polar Bears

Happy Friday! It's going to be another beautiful hot day here in Minnesota. This week, we spent a day at Como Zoo in St. Paul. For those of you who aren't familiar, it's a free city zoo (donations appreciated) and a huge conservatory. The last time I went to the Como Zoo, I was about 7. Things have really changed. The animals look a lot happier than they did in the 70's. Well . . . not the Polar Bear. He needs to get out of there a take a walk on the wild side. He lives in a space about the size of my front porch. They are currently building a better habitat for him. Hang in there buddy!

Bad Knitting News: I frogged my Hogwarts socks. The idea was so cool, but they were just big and baggy. The design LOOKED good, but not functional. I want them to be socks that my secret pal can actually wear comfortably.

Also, I began my second monkey sock and the gauge is so different than the first, it's unfair! The first fits my husband and the second fits me. sigh. This is why one should always ALWAYS knit both socks at the same time. I think I'll rip the 2nd and use a bigger needle . . . ??? (advice anyone?)


Not so bad knitting news:
Look what I got in the mail.
Hooray! (Lorraine - there are an awful lot of patterns in there with cables - yikes! This may be it for me; no more procrastinating.)

I love the "Dalarna" sock.
It looks like the easiest pattern, achem, thank you very much. After browsing these patterns, I realize it's a "Masters" course. It reminds me of the time I took my first philosophy course during the last semester of my college Sophomore year (got that? SOPHOMORE) and completely floundered my way through several weeks before this enlightening inncident. Professor says, "So how many of you will be attending the Philosophy Department's Senior picnic?" Every hand shot up but mine. After sorting out my registration 'miscalculation', the professor agreed to keep me on and guide me through the senior course. I passed with a meager C. I wonder how my Traveling Socks will turn out.

PS. I won't be able to blog until next Thursday. I may squeeze one in on Sunday!

5 comments:

Lorraine said...

What a cute sock! I know you can do it.

Now you know why I'm such a die-hard, two-at-a-time gal. Even after 30 years of knitting, my gauge can still change from day to day. I think it has to do with how tense or grumpy I am while knitting. Tense knitting = tight knitting for me.

Kathleen said...

I love the zoo! Denver has renovated and upgraded all their animal habitats in the zoo there, too. They've made it a habitat for the animals, not just a display case where people point and stare. The last time I visited the Denver Zoo, it was so much better than in the past...all except the area for the great apes. That was still a point and stare display case. You can tell that the gorillas hate it. They cannot escape the view of people and their expressions and behavior reflect that. Such a shame.

Good luck with traveling socks! I'm still slightly sockophobic and have put off diving in for a little while. Hmm.

Guinifer said...

Yea - after knitting all those socks this last year, that Knitting on the Road books still knocks me back on my heels. Yes, pun intended.

Anonymous said...

I love that conservatory!

Unknown said...

I love this book! I haven't actually knitted anything from it yet, but I love looking at the pictures.

I love the zoo (polar bears are a favorite of mine).