Friday, August 24, 2007

T - this one's for you!!!

I have this one friend who calls me on HER birthday every year because every year I never remember her birthday. This is a BEST friend, so shame on me. There is always a moment in January when the phone rings, I pick up - immediately recognize her voice and groan, "Oh, no. I forgot again!" Even if I remembered to think about her birthday, I can't recall the actual date.

So feeling guilty and watching her belly grow with two more boys to add to her family, I promised to make up all the forgotten birthdays (by the way, she never forgets mine) by knitting up all sorts of goodies for the twins. I even went so far as to knit up one cap, but went on to lose it and couldn't rally enough muster to finish the second. The boys are now a year old and still without a wooly knit (as I am so graciously reminded of so often by my ever diligent friend).

And so, after watching Elizabeth Zimmermann's DVD workshop, I would like to proudly display the following hats to be shortly delivered to a pair of huge, tumbly, charming boys.

The EZ Swatch Caps
Specs:
Yarn: Paton's Classic Wool Merino
Needles: US size 5
Pattern: Swatch Cap by Elizabeth Zimmermann

GO LOCAL:
In an effort to try to go "more local", I traveled west of our town to buy yarn from Gale Woods Farm. The skeins were $7.25 for 230 yards. The wool is from the sheep on the farm. But alas! They ship the wool to Maine to be spun and dyed! Grrrrr. There must be SOMEONE here in Minnesota that could do this (make a little side cash) and keep it local. Pass the word on. Contact Three Rivers Park/Gale Woods Farm if you're interested.
Third "Swatch Cap" for Lumpy (7) who has specific pattern ideas for his Cabin Cap.
ps. It's very lanoliny - rustic feeling yarn.

I may have to add fleece to the inside brim if it proves to be to itchy.

one more treat:
The Sweet Sheep Shop has just announced a Self-Striping Sock Club . . . spaces limited!!




2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Such lovely gifts and in good time for winter, too.

I never thought of fleece to line a hat. I've got a purple wool hat that matches my hockey mom scarf and coat that really itches. I'll have to dig out my fleece scraps and give it a go!

Thanks!

Heather said...

Wow! So cute! lucky kids... see they just wouldn't have gotten as much use out of them a year ago... it is all about timing :)