Monday, October 29, 2007

UGH

I'm back. That whole dog thing really did a number on me. I'm exhausted and sad, but it really helps to have friends and family around. All of your comments were really touching and appreciated. It's just a dog, right? . . . sigh

I'll be back Wednesday with my finished socks and some new stash. Until then, here is a silly book quiz that is kind of fun to try. Marit had this on her page.

1. Hardcover or paperback, and why?

Harcover if it’s a library book (so I don’t ruin it) and paperback if I buy it (it’s cheap).

2. If I were to own a book shop, I would call it...

“Fall In” - from that quote - Books Fall Open, You Fall In - It would be in an old house with a whole floor dedicated to children’s lit and children’s book clubs. It would also have a yummy coffee bar downstairs with a stage for poetry readings and short plays written by patrons.


3. My favorite quote from a book (mention the title)

"A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men."
- Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

“The mother stands behind the child, and lets him move forward on his shaky, bandy legs, and he knows that there is a mass of love behind and above him - so attentive to him that even when he falls, he is safe. In fact - when he falls, he is loved the more.” Nuala O’Faolain - My Dream of You


4. The author (alive or deceased) I would love to have lunch with would be...

J.K. Rowling and John Steinbeck. Wouldn't Elizabeth Zimmermann be a hoot!

5. If I was going to a deserted island and could only bring one book, except for the SAS survival guide, it would be…

The Dangerous Book for Boys. My guilty conscious just told me that I was supposed to say the Bible, but my first choice has things like, how to make your own fishing net etc.


6. I would love someone to invent a bookish gadget that…

would automatically write down and store good quotes and/or ideas into my computer.

7. The smell of an old book reminds me of... the library

8. If I could be the lead character in a book (mention the title), it would be

Charlie “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” or Ginny Weasley AFTER Chamber of Secrets -But I'm sure if I thought about this some more, I'd come up with a few more.


9. The most overestimated book of all times is….

Chicken Soup for the Soul


10. I hate it when a book…

Describes men by height, hair, eyes and type of nose then goes on to describe women by leg type, body type (curvey), the way she walks, flips her hair, neck length, lip type, etc. YUCK and GRRRRRRR

7 comments:

Guinifer said...

Who would dare say she's just a dog? You can't live with a living, breathing creature for over a decade and not mourn them when they are gone!

Anonymous said...

Even though I talk to many times in a day, my daughter, I love reading you these three times a week. I hope you feel me hovering over and around you even when I'm not near.
nama

PJS said...

We'd be heartbroken if anything happened to our little white terror...whoops... i mean terrier

Loved the dislike for sicky discriptions of men and women in books. I agree. I love books though and I liked the idea of the title for the bookstore...'fall in' fabby!

see you on sock wednesday then

marit said...

Thanks for playing along on the bookmeme! It was fun reading your answers.
As for Ruby-no, she was not "just a dog". I'm sorry you've lost her, and mourning her is just natural!

Anonymous said...

Never just a dog, more like a loved member of the family. I remember how hard it was every time I've lost a loved pet. Hang in there!! Can't wait to see the socks.

Wooly Works said...

I do enjoy your writing. I'm looking forward to the socks. I'm a sock knitter as well, though probably not as accomplished as you, and yet probably nearly as driven, especially around Christmas time. I also love to read Elizabeth Zimmermann, both her writings on knitting and her--oh what does she call them?--her memoirs of her life. My sympathies again for losing your darling girl.

Felicia said...

Love the Fall In name!