Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Minnesota Cold!

We are home after a quintessential Minnesota winter weekend. First stop: Pine Needles in Seely, WI where I picked up a delicious skein of yarn for a pair of birthday socks for hubby K. (On Your Toes - DK Boot Sock Yarn w/ Aloe Vera - 100 g. 75% superwash wool, 25% Nylon)
I love this yarn because it reminds me of the plaid wool coats from Bemidji Woolen Mills that every self-respecting Minnesota owns. It reminds me of the Voyageurs who traversed this state in their canoes so many years ago.

We did some sledding and cross-country skiing. It was Lunker's first time on the North American Birkibeiner trail.
And of course, the dads took the kids ice-fishing. We were going for pan fish but caught a record walleye instead. A huge surprise since the lake was tiny.

By the way, we don't usually keep fish this big. This poor fella had an unfortunate incident with a 7 year old fisherman and an ice hole that was a tad too small. I don't know if it's the same for all fisherman, but generally, we would have taken a picture and returned this real lunker back to the deeps. Sorry old man.This hideous piece of knitting is supposed to turn into a felted slipper. We'll see. It's for Hubby's birthday, too.
And shhhhhh. Remember that orange wool I told you to keep an eye on? ("No.")
Well, it's knitting up nicely into a pair of socks for a dear friend 's birthday. I can't remember when her birthday is, but I know it's near the end of January, so I have to hustle and get these done!

7 comments:

Guinifer said...

Oh HELLO Leo! You'll have to come meet Kona & Ozzie some day - after Ozzie learns some manners - yeesh! (I remembered something about potty training - do not allow them unlimited access to the water bowl! Duh.)

I hit Pine Needles once or twice a year - the Teen goes to camp up at Lake Owen in the summers. That orange yarn is very yummy. Can't wait to see the finished deal!

Tee said...

Hmmm, I know an orange lover who has for years been trying to have the 26th of January declared a national holiday!

Very cool color, some one's toes are sure to be dancing by the end of the month.

Kathleen said...

I'm almost envious of you for having snow, but then I remember how my hands ache and go numb in the cold and how my feet ache in the cold and how I can slip and fall on the ice while holding two buckets of water and how cold it is after two buckets of water spill on me while I'm lying in a pile of snow and ice...and then I'm not envious anymore.

Still, it was hard to get in the Christmas spirit with 80 degree weather going on here.

Your pup has such a cute mug...I love the header of your blog! *sigh* If only Celeste would be so cute!

PJS said...

Wow.... Love the ice fishing pictures, they really are great and that fish is huge!

I love the name of the wool place, clever...'pine needles'. We suffer from a lack of knitters here and we dont really have lots of wool/knitting shops

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog, you are a very creative mother and a very creative writer. Your photos are really telling. They capture the feeling at the moment. And yes, the yarn is yummy. Keep writing! Nama

Dr. B. said...

Wow! That is some serious winter you've got there. (Here in LA, we're all freaking out because it's raining.)

I've never felted anything, but from what I can tell, you're right on track with that slipper. Can't wait to see the finished item.

Happy New Year!

Neuroknitter said...

Happy New Year! What a wonderful winter weekend!!!

That Aloe Vera yarn sounds really nice!

I love the new picture in your header!!

Happy knitting!!