Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Aspen Yarn Gallery

Yes.  There is a yarn store in Aspen.  And I mean . . . a Yarn Store.  Don't let this plain facade put you off. This ain't your granny's store, either.  Way back (2007ish) the shop was selling beaver, fox, mink "yarn".  Thin strips of hide, laser cut and sold as yarn.  Interesting.

But the new owner has a completely different take.  And the eye-candy.  OH, the eye candy. . . .

Well.  Let's take a look.

First (and excuse the crappy pictures), this is Mango Moon yarns. 

Look again more closely.

The yarn is made up of recycled fibers, yarns and silks and loaded with stone and glass beads.  It's absolutely gorgeous!   The pictures don't do justice.

Mango Moon also makes Zing String shown here:

This is cotton thread with hand-tied stones and glass beads.  It's drop dead gorgeous.  You carry the string with your yarn when you're knitting.  It really is amazing.  It's a very new 'yarn'.  I haven't seen it on Ravelry, yet.

She also features regional yarns that are hand spun and dyed.

Here is yarn from Snow Leopard Trust.  "Founded in 1981, the Snow Leopard Trust is the world's leading authority on the study and protection of the endangered snow leopard." - Snow Leopard Trust website.

The yarn is camel wool.


The walls were FULL of Misti Alpaca in different weights and luscious, rich colors. 

And there was so much more.  Just beautiful.  The owner gave me a thorough tour of the shop, which is tucked into an upstairs location in downtown Aspen.  She was very informative and had loads of ideas on how to use this unusual collection of yarns.

She doesn't have a website, so I told her I'd blog about her beautiful little shop of wonders.

Did I leave unscathed?  HA HA HA.  If you know me well, you know that I left there after spending way too much money. . . on only one skein of yarn.  But beautiful deep forest green Misti Alpaca sock yarn.  I'll post pictures later.

No famous people yet.  My son thought he saw an NFL player, but didn't verify that.  We saw a band getting out of their Cadillac SUV's for a gig at Belly Up, but we didn't recognize the faces or the names.   Aspen. . . you never know.

Here are the specs for the shop.  She does sell kits and will ship:

Aspen Yarn Gallery
520 E. Cooper Street #205
Aspen, CO  81611
aspenyarngallery@yahoo.com
(970)925-5667

6 comments:

livnletlrn said...

Well, if you see anybody who might possibly be famous, there's no doubt in my mind that your dh will be in a pic w/ him/her within 10 minutes. ;-)

Looks like a fabu yarn store. Happy vacationing!

Lorraine said...

GORGEOUS! Can't wait to see pics of the booty.

Woolgirl said...

I absolutely love that yarn with the beads in it. I can't explain it, but I've seen it before and it just draws me in. I think I'll cave one of these days (well, I know I will!) :) Sounds like a really neat shop!

picperfic said...

wow, you're so lucky to have such a splendid shop!

Guinifer said...

Sigh....deep envy.

Neuroknitter said...

Not sure whether I should thank you or not for the money pit info! LOL!!

Gorgeous store!! Lovely yarn!! You're clearly having a great trip! Can't wait to see more pics (of Aspen AND the new stash)! :)