Monday, June 11, 2007

A KOOL (aid) WEEKEND!





Lori introduced me to the idea of Kool-Aid dyeing yarn. Heather further inspired. This has been circling around in my mind for some time. So on Saturday, we picked some Kool-Aid and used Patons Classic Wool Merino yarn (cheap from Michael's Craft Store) and got to work. A very fun project to do with the kids. A word of warning - wear gloves. I did not. My hands look bruised and maimed from the staining. I am going to put all projects aside to knit up a pair of socks with some of this yarn. I definitely recommend this project! I'll post what we did - AND we got our instructions from HERE!

1. Wound the yarn around the dining room table. (a big pain in the #*%)


2. Washed the yarn in cold water with a drop of 7th Generation
Lavender dish soap.

3. Patted the yarn dry and spread it onto Saran Wrap to protect my ancient table.


4. Mixed two packs of (same) color with 4 T. water.







5. Used a turkey-baster to squirt dye onto the yarn.


6. Used baggied hands to squish the liquid dye through the yarn.

7. Steamed the yarn in a steamer basket for 45 minutes.


8. Cooled and washed in cold water with drop of same soap from above (no dye came out - the rinse water, amazingly was clear).

9. Dried and wound it into a ball.








These are the socks that my middle boy (7) designed. He choose the colors based on his best friends. If I have extra yarn (the skein was huge) - I may knit up a pair for his best bud, too. He's calling them his "Best Friend" socks.

7 comments:

Guinifer said...

Oh, oh, oh! I love this story! The yarn came out perfect! Tell Son he did a great job picking his colors! I hope his friend likes them!

Kathleen said...

I've enjoyed dying with Kool-Aid, too, although my green came out more of a yellow than a green. Yours looks fabulous! I haven't quite gotten the hang of dyng altogether. I need more practice.

Heather said...

Whoo-hoo!! looks great! And I bet it smelled great in process, too :)
Congrats... and kids do have the best color sense, don't they?

marit said...

Hi! Thank you for your nice comment on my blog! I've just read a little of yours, and it is really nice. That kool-aid dyeing sounds like fun, and you got some nice colours there. Next step: Teaching your kids to knit!

Wool Girl said...

I Love that yarn! Great job on the striping! WOW!

Wool Girl said...

I LOVE your socks! Great job on the striping! WOW!

Lorraine said...

What a fabulous start! LOVE the yarn. Tell Son has a great eye for color and should design more yarn.