Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Green Glorious Green! (and a spider essay)

My oldest (8 yr) picked his favorite color for his Kool-aid socks. We used Lemon-Lime mix with Berry Blue, Lemon-Lime with Orange (to get the army green color), and Lemon-Lime with Lemonade. I think the yarn turned out gorgeous! I also dyed longer sections hoping that it will stripe up a bit thicker than my first attempt (which I also like).

SIZING:
I cast on 40 stitches with #6 US needles - this was sized for a women's small, but this actually fits a boys size 3.5 feet perfectly. My middle kid has a size 13 childs and I cast on 36 with #6 - same thing. Perfect fit with some room to grow.
Completely unrelated to knitting:

Living in the woods and near a lake means that I also live with . . . spiders. I don't know anyone who really LOVES spiders, but I, for one, take no joy from them. I am an arachnophobe. And I don't mean - "Oh, ick. A spider." I actually have two responses to the sight of spiders - 1. a flight of terror 2. loss of all control - ending up with me in a heap on the floor, sometimes whimpering and shivering (I think with shock). Often times, my response is a combination of both.

My garage sits under a canopy of spider homes in the trees above. When I open the garage door, I stand far back and wait for the door to come to a complete stop - (spiders may drop from the garage door onto my head). Next, I make a terrifying dash to my door, sometimes shrieking, trying not to focus on anything in case spiders are crawling on the car. When I manage to get in, I close my eyes and wait to calm down. I'm certain that my doom will be a car crash involving me and a spider that has hitched a ride inside my car.

When my husband asked me to marry him, I had two prenuptial stipulations - I will never be tickled (hate being tickled) and don't ever . . . EVER throw, pretend to throw, or put real, dead or plastic spiders in any location to try and scare me or I'll file for immediate divorce. He has not broken this rule yet and, in fact, will diligently dispose of them quickly and quietly without so much as a rolling of his eyes.

As a back-up plan, I also have a generous neighbor who is on-call for emergency spider disposal at any time of day (she's not so generous in the middle of the night). In return, I judiciously dispose of toads in her garden. Don't worry, I only remove them to my own garden (they eat spiders).
I'm unconcerned with beetles, bees . . . heck, even snakes. But . . . (shiver) spiders... And did you know that lake/woods are also home of the insanely huge and very fast "Wolf Spider" and the even bigger "Fishing Spider" (which sometimes takes a break from fishing to come inside my house). I'd post a picture, but I actually have a nasty physical response to photos as well. If you'd like to get me to stop reading your blog, you can post a big picture of a Wolf Spider - any spider - and I'll never return again.

10 comments:

Kathleen said...

Beautiful green shades! Wow!

Leslie said...

Wow, I love the greens in that yarn. It's beautiful!

renee said...

Oh my goodness, that sounds so horrible! I completely understand, though. That's how I feel about bats. I know how irrational I'm being and I hate it, but I just can't help it. I've been thinking about going through therapy, though. Happily, bats are not as prevalent as spiders, but since I get bats in my house, I still live in mortal fear every day that there's one lurking in the corners of the room.

Celtic Queen said...

Ask Heather, no one likes green. ;) Just kidding, it's my favorite color and you've done a great job. BTW, a trick to gusset holes is to twist your stitch and also when picking up stitches to pick one up in the bar between front and back.

Guinifer said...

So, how do you feel about Kreepy Krawlers? (You know those rubber bugs the kids make with Goop?)

PS Nice green yarn.

Anonymous said...

I actually LOVE the knit knickers! If you find a pattern for more of a ‘boy-short’ knit knickers, I might really really have to learn to knit so I have something to wear with my arm warmers when I finally get around to them. You know, kind of like Ann Margaret. I can see her wearing knit knickers, especially in that teal blue!

Your blog is incredible! The spider story made me gurgle out loud at work (not the best strategy) and knowing you, it’s all true, which makes me laugh harder.

Your ‘knit-speak’ goes over my head, but I’m big enough to accept that there’s a whole world out there that I don’t have access to. Ha

L8Rs

Heather said...

Thanks for the warning!! I don't have too much trouble with spiders... as long as they are not in my house. I can't stand ants. little ants, big ants, red, green, black or polka dot, I hate ants. I try to be tolerant of their place in the ecosysem- outside- but I get neurotic if I find an ant in the house. If there were ants in those trees, I would cut them down... but the developers have taken so many from your vicinity, I guess you are a better woman for just getting your exercise in the mad dash :)
Oh, and the socks are fabulous...do you think the thickness will dissuade them from wearing them this winter? or will they be house socks? I love how fast you can knit them up!!

Anonymous said...

eeeekkkkk...I do not like bugs...I don't kill them, I let them go about their business, but they give me the creeps...Thank goodness you had the cheery green socks here to distract from the bugs. FAB color! Happy Summer Days to you & yours! :o)

knitting elephant said...

Love the socks!! I'll have to try a pair for my oldest... or maybe all 3 kids. Awesome that your kids are helping you knit stuff!! :-)

Lorraine said...

Love, love, love the green yarn.

LOL. I had to chuckle at the spider story. I'm okay with spiders but mice - when I see one, I magically find myself standing on tables or counters. That's why we own cats ;-D.

Phobias are powerful things.