Friday, June 29, 2007

Boring blah blah blah post.

No knitting pictures today, because I haven't had time to knit. This will be a very boring blog for my non-knitty pals, so I'll leave some random photos of why I'm not knitting.

Instead I have a question: Is there a stitch I can use on the bottom of the sock to make it thicker without having to worry that it will change my gauge too much? (For example, the heel on the jaywalker sock seems thicker - it's a (sl 1, k1) to the end. Next row purl. Next rowl (sl 1, k1). Could I continue this down the whole bottom of the sock or will it not work? Ladies?

The EZ baby sweater pattern is from "Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitters' Almanac" - a good knitters book - and fun to read even if you aren't going to knit anything from it. She describes her narrative directions for patterns as, "Pithy directions for . . . " Reading her book is as cozy as knitting wooly socks, of which she also has a pattern. Oh, and by the way, I think that EZ is very misleading. It does not mean EASY - as I will soon find out when I try her baby sweater. But I will not be deterred.

Heather, I took the dictionary test and (my real name) means "something akin to a banana peel." or something like that. Hmph. Not quite as glamorous as yours.

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Keep in mind the heel flap is knitted back and forth, thus there IS a purl row. If you wish to try carrying the slip stitch pattern across the sole of the sock, you would need to do one round of K1,S1, then KNIT a plain round. Whether it will change your gauge or not, I'm not sure. You have to be careful not to pull the yarn too tight behind the slipped stitch, which is the only concern I'd have.

Heather said...

first, I saw that someone said she refreshed several times until she got a definintion she liked.
second, I hear tell that you can use a smaller needle for the bottom of the foot without affecting the sock guage. Quite mysterious if you ask me, would work really well if you are using 2 circulars for the sock rather than dpns that spin order in use.
third, you could also do a k1p1 ribbing on the bottom of the foot. that is from the february rockin' sock club pattern. I don't think that walking around on the slip stitch would be very comfortable.
fourth, your kids are adorable and that is a very cool golf course you have there... kids come first (always and especially in the summer.)