Monday, July 2, 2007

Winning My First Contest


I'm an honest person, so I will tell you that I prewrote my blog on Friday, expecting to be done with Chocosocks (cursed brown socks for Hubby). Here's what I wrote:

"When the husband is away, the wife knits all day. And look what I've accomplished. (insert picture of completed cursed-chocosocks) I'm going to treat myself to something nice for FINALLY finishing these socks! He's not even home yet to try them on, but blind optimism has it's rewards. They will fit . . . even if they don't. And he will smile and love them, even if he doesn't."

But instead of knitting up the socks, the sun was shining, the kids wanted to swim and somehow, knitting with brown wool at the beach was not very enticing. I did make some progress (the yarn is Meilenweit Bosco #3514 - US #1 Jaywalker pattern, (thanks Guinifer) CO 84): The BIG news is thus: A few weeks back, I entered a yarn naming contest at Woolgirl (blog). One had to come up with a name and color combo for yarn based on a favorite tv show. I instantly thought of "Brady Bunch" with yummy 70's greens and oranges and yellows. Well, I WON! (actually, I think I came in 3rd or 4th, but I think that was a typo or something because my name was really outstanding).

Anyway, we dragged our sandy, grouchy bodies back from the beach and I found a package in the mail from Woolgirl (store). (insert school-girl scream) I ripped it open (that's a lie - I waited until my camera battery was recharged so that I could take a picture and share the joy) and was overjoyed to find an kick-ass bundle of yarn called "BRADY BUNCH"! And here it is in all it's glory. Attached to my lovely package was an even more lovely note and a fancy stitch marker (my first one - I have been using bobby pins and pieces of yarn). That's not all - a sample of wool washing soap called "Soak". Aren't knitters just the coolest people ever?! We really are a strange and wonderful group of people. The yarn is currently at my bedside table so that it's the last thing I see when I go to sleep and the first thing I see in the morning. I know some of you can relate. . . admit it. I'll try to post Wed, but you know. 4th of July and everything.

6 comments:

renee said...

Gorgeous yarn! And it really does capture the colors in our kitchen in the 1970s - I believe all of our appliances were either gold or green.

Lorraine said...

Squeeee! So cool. Love the yarn. BTW, need markers . . . hmmmm.

Kathleen said...

Stitch markers...that's one thing I never thought would be necessary, but now that I do patterned work and am stretching myself into more intricate patterns, I'm finding the yarn scrap and old hoop earring thing kind of tedious. Blech. Maybe I should break down and get some real stitch markers.

The yarn you won is great-looking! What are your dreams for it? Have you gotten any ideas after having it there with you on the night stand?

Wool Girl said...

Love your Brady Bunch yarn! I know some gorgeous socks will be created with it! :) Happy Knitting!

Guinifer said...

I definitely see Bobby Brady there. It looks good enough to eat. I love my little stitchmarker collection - like jewelry for your needle.

knitting elephant said...

Oh how I would love to make a comfy pair of socks using the Brady Bunch yarn!! Yummy! Congrats--Can't wait to see what you make out of it!