Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Very Vintage!


Just when I thought I could knit no further . . .

At the very moment I looked at my husband and said, "I'm not going to knit another stitch on your stupid chocosocks and I'm never using size 1 needles ever again!" (Here I must insert: Husband never asked for any socks and has no idea what a size 1 needle is.)

I happen to glance down into my husbands open sock drawer and found this sticking out.
Guess what it is. No don't guess, I'll tell you. It is a vintage pair of Icelandic ski socks knit with something like Lopi and nice size 6 or 7 needles probably 30-40 years old. It was like a message from my Icelandic ancestors from the not-so-distant past telling me to get over myself and keep on a-knittin'. Look at these!There awesome! A labor of love. Real vintage stockings from Iceland. Holding them in my hands I'm realizing that when K's grandmother was my age, she knit these stockings. These very stitches ran through her fingers. Back in a day when these weren't just quaint socks, but actually used - purposeful knitting. K remembers wearing these skiing and being teased (here in the US) but wearing them anyway because he was always dry and warm.

I dove back into K's sock drawer and found these as well. All knit by K's Icelandic Amma. And last of all - I then found these, which have never been worn and I believe were brought over from Iceland by my uncle Jon in the 60's. Knitter unknown. Aren't they gorgeous? I don't know the official name of these, but my Icelandic gramps always called them mukluks. I had a pair as a kid that went all the way up to my knees. (Where did they go? Must call mom) I don't think mukluk is an Icelandic word - maybe Inuit? They're knit more like a moccasin. Of course, I'll never wear them other than to take pictures and admire them. Sigh.

7 comments:

Guinifer said...

Heh he - you are funny! And? Those socks are so much more than gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful socks--just fantastic! :o)

Leslie said...

Those are some SERIOUS socks! How cool...er, warm! I can't imagine wearing them unless I lived in Iceland.

Lorraine said...

I don't know, those look like the ideal footwear for watching hockey to me. Slap some leather soles on 'em and no more frozen toes. I may have to try and make a pair for myself.

BTW, I have some stitch markers for you, if you'll send me an e-mail with your snail mail address. I made them just for you.

Heather said...

ohhh, yes! that is just it. I am studying the picture of the mukluks so to make a pair for myself!! gorgeous! knitting can indeed be a metaphor for most things in life... we are intertwined, past, present, future.

marit said...

Love them!

Kathleen said...

I can't imagine why you wouldn't wear those gorgeous socks in the winter...Maybe right now it's a little hard to imagine, but wait till the snow flies again!