Monday, June 18, 2007

Worsted is the Best!

I absolutely loved knitting with plain old worsted weight wool. It knits so fast and warm and soft (merino). Without further delay: Kool-aid dyed socks for my 7 yr old.

How do I get rid of that hole at the ends of the gussets on the ankles. One pair has no gaps and the other has gaps on either side! $*%&@(

A funny thing happened to me this weekend while "Up North". I didn't feel like knitting. Several times, I spread out the ziploc baggies of projects and just thought, "Blech." Finally, on the way home, I took out K's (hubby) chocolate-sock yarn and started (my fourth try) on his first pair of socks from me. I am using the Jaywalk pattern that Guinifer suggested. LOVE IT! I learned two new stitches (dd - double decrease and k f/b - knit through the front and back). The pattern is perfect for beginner sock knitters who want to take it up a notch.
And no matter how these turn out - I'm NOT ripping them out for a fourth time.

Finally, some family fun - woke up early before the heat set in and ventured forth to do our "Playground Marathon". We only made it to 4 before we had to stop for lunch and then ate it at the Excelsior Commons, which, by the way - is a fabulous spot!

See you Wednesday!


4 comments:

Lorraine said...

Great socks and what a fun marathon idea. I think Mom would wear out first, though.

Guinifer said...

Rani
I pick up some extra stitches when I am picking up for the gusset.

Have him try the sock on again after you've finished the gusset. The first time I did this pattern, I could barely get the sock on (it has since stretched for me).

Rebecca said...

I get rid of the gusset hole by picking up two additional stitches on either side of the bar inbetween the gusset and heel. I learned this from the book SENSATIONAL SOCKS which is an excellent book to have on hand!

Heather said...

you can pick up the sides of the stitch that is right next to the needle with the instep stitches (good picture of this in Charlene Schurch's Sensational Knitted Socks) and then on the next round decrease them the opposite direction of the other decrease you do... i.e. ssk instead of k2tog, or vice versa. The socks look great, however, and those things seem to work themselves in, anyway.
I love the park crawl. I don't think my kids would ever want to come home!