Friday, June 8, 2007

Elf Hats, Magic Rocks and Sea Monkeys

These elfy hats are very addictive because they knit up so fast. It would be even better if I could knit them in the round so that I wouldn't have to sew up the back seam. But I haven't found double pointed 13 needles or 40" circular 'magic loops'.

QUESTION: Why do I have to block my finished stuff? (for those of you who don't knit - Blocking is when you dampen or wet your knitting and lay it out to dry in the shape you want). I don't get why because when you put on socks/hats/scarves they are the shape of your foot/head etc. What's the point. I blocked this orange hat, but I did not block the first one. I see no difference. And socks? You knit them and wear them. Why would I block them?

My 3rd Noro (silk garden) scarf is so pretty! I did not know it would have so much purple in it. The skeins were deceiving - mostly greens/browns/blues. This is why knitting these scarves is so fun. Why doesn't Noro ever go on sale?
Day one of summer vacation:

MAGIC ROCKS! Remember those? Got 'em at Target. In the 70's I ordered mine from my Archie comic books . . . along with my Sea Monkeys - perhaps the biggest disappointment of my life. You cannot train Sea Monkeys. Nor do they grow arms and legs with flipper feet.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

I loved magic rocks when I was a kid. I never had sea monkeys, although I looked at the packages long and lovingly in the store. They are just brine shrimp, right?

Actually, the only things that I block are lacy items when I want to spread the fabric out to show off the lace. And I block my felted hats to fit over a tamale cooker, then to fit my head. But other than that, I don't block. I just wear them or sell them. No blocking for this girl.

Lorraine said...

Noro is on sale at Webs. I am so sorely tempted to break my yarn diet. I love the scarves and feel the need to make one. In June, no less. Sheesh.

Great hats! Was that pattern from the visual knitting book?

Have you done the kool-aid dying yet? I need to stock up on some kool-aid. My kids keep making it into drinks before I get a chance to use it. Grrrr!

Guinifer said...

Oooooh. I loved the Magic Rocks. I don't block socks or hats - they go right onto the body parts and there it is.