Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sock Club and Phase I BWCA

How cool is this!? (That is, if you live to knit socks . . . ) I joined another sock club which has started (timely enough - my first club just ended). In the first package was . . . What you're looking at is a cool pattern, awesome woolly (and washable, I might add) yarn of the colorway "Waterfall", LipBalm called Waterfall, a sock knitting journal/pen and a stitch marker. I started the pattern and will post it soon.

ANNIVERSARY TRIP - PHASE I
"Libations"

K took me Up North for my first Boundary Waters camping trip. Day one included snow and high winds, so we opted for the warmer "Grand Ely Lodge" where we soaked up some local flavor both in liquid form and human. Friends, I had to 'warm up' for the trip ahead.
And yes, I actually brought my knitting into the bar.

About that. I met some weathered men who, I thought were staring at me for my obvious 'city folk' look. Instead, they approached me as I was leaving to ask about my knitting and then they proceeded to give me a fashion show of sorts, sharing some things they were wearing that were hand-knit by various family members. They were very proud to show me and tell me about mittens, hats, sweaters; the feeling was mutual. My personal favorite was an older fisherman who had, and I kid you not, a dickey neck-warmer knit by his mother. It was all very warm and fuzzy. You gotta love Ely!

more about trip on Friday

4 comments:

Guinifer said...

Warm and fuzzy and oh, so heartwarming too! That sock looks interesting. You got way better photos than I did!

knitting elephant said...

I love that you were accosted in the bar about your knitting! Classic memory-story to tell! :-) I also really like the looks of that new sock yarn. Color me green with envy!

Lorraine said...

I am so jealous. That goody package looks just delectable.

CurlyBrunette said...

You are going to love this yarn, its a dream to knit with!