Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Birthday Bash!

We celebrated birthdays this last weekend. Belly had her princesses come to court. I got a new bike from my hubby.
I have not been able to ride it since our road looks like this.I'm very excited about a new picot edge that I learned from Neuroknitter. It is so darn pretty. I'm going to use this on my next pair of girl socks. I'm having a hard time finding non-wooly sock yarn for the Hogwarts sock swap. My secret pal has sweet, sensitive feet. I bought some awesome Jitterbug yarn, but it's 100% wool. I'm going to make a run to the local shops and see what they have in the way of scarlet/gold/yellow/burgundy. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Also found new blog through Saartje - Cosmopolitan Purls. Good socks.

So did I knit the scarf and read at the same time? Nope. I read obsessively and finished the book at 10:00 am Monday. Then had nothing to do but knit. I'm nearing the end of Chocosocks, but may run out of yarn. Gah.

9 comments:

Guinifer said...

How 'bout some Tofutsies? Will that work? Does LE have any cotton that works?

renee said...

If she isn't totally opposed to wool, I'm knitting some socks out of Panda Wool from Crystal Palace and it's very nice and gentle. It's 46% bamboo, 43% wool and 11% nylon. Tofutsies is another yarn I've knit that is part wool, but feels very soft and not wooly. It's 50% superwash wool, 25% soysilk, 22.5% cotton and 2.5% chitin. It's very thin, so for socks I'd definitely knit it on size 0 needles at the most, so it'd be a long project. If wool is definitely out, Panda Cotton is also very nice. 55% bamboo, 24% cotton and 21% elastic, so it has a bit of stretch. Cascade fixation is another yarn that's cotton and elastic - almost all cotton. I like it, but some people don't like the stretchiness. Good luck!

Neuroknitter said...

Oh Rani! Your picots are perfect!!! Right on!!! Happy birthday to all!! I really, really heart that pink bike :) And yes, brown yarn = chocolate consumption!!! :)

Lorraine said...

LOL - running out of yarn on the Choco socks would just be an example of too cruel fate! I shouldn't laugh but for Pete's sake . . .

LOVE the bike. Such a cool color!

And I thought there was a big sign on your road saying "Private drive - NO Construction vehicles" How'd they get away with it?

Kathleen said...

Cool bike (hope you get to ride it soon), and it looks like it was a great birthday party. Hail to the princesses.

I put up a couple of garlic ideas on my blog. Gotta go, Celeste is having a MAJOR attack of the gas.

Leslie said...

The princess party participants look adorable! And I love your new pink bike. Enjoy!

marit said...

Happy birthdays!

knitting elephant said...

Congrats on the bike... Sorry your road is still torn up! :-(

As for the socks in non-wool, I'd suggest Cascade Fixation, Elann Sock It To Me Collection Esprit, Artful Yarns Candy, an Panda Cotton. I just don't know how many of those will fit the bill for gauge, color, etc. Hope it helps a little, anyway.

Wool Girl said...

Love your picot edging! Gorgeous!