Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Knitting Saga

My m&m's were siphoned off by my 4 year old. So much for my breakfast.

OK! Socks are much more fun than sweaters. Look at this goop!
It happened while trying to decrease. I did a ssk and look what I did. But this is the least of my worries. Look at this! And this is not a weird camera angle. The front panels are different sizes!! AUGH!! I thought I was measuring so carefully! I am so frickin' mad!
Also, I found on someone's blog (and I'd link it, but I can't remember where/when I found it) that they hated Rowan's Summer Tweed because the texture was so coarse - while I found that it was soft. Well - here's the answer. It depends on the color. My brown Summer Tweed is rough and yuck to the touch, but the pink is wonderfully cuddley.
I've been putting off my Hufflepuff socks due to lack of needles. (I only have one pair of #1 magic loop) but today, I vow to begin. My mom will be picking up more Magic Loops for me, so there will be no excuse.

Here is 8-year-old E's sock. The second is on stitch holders (again - shortage of knitting needles). And yes. I am modeling his sock on my foot. He is large for his age, which is what happens when you introduce Viking/Nordic genes into the mix. (I'm not bragging when I say he was 10 pounds 2 oz. at birth - just letting you feel my pain).
And yes . . . I'll start using my self tanner.

And the cotton stripey socks I started for myself with the Panda Yarn will probably be footies to wear around the house, since they're 'summer' socks and I don't forsee myself wearing these bright things in public with my shorts and sandals.
(Oh the geekiness). (Renee) I thought the cotton would fall apart and come unraveled, but it's actually quite nice.

One more frivilous picture.

The ice is finally out on our cabin lake!!! Why is this significant? We're 'water-access' only. So here is a shot from a resort near us of the OPEN WATER!! Cabin - here we come.

PS. My dream would be to have a knitting weekend with all my knitting friends up in Ely (but few of my friends knit. sigh. And the ones who do, aren't keen on outhouses. That would be a lonely weekend).

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

I can't say that I miss the outhouse we had when I was growing up...but I do miss those early morning/late night outings across the yard to...you know. Especially when the resident BULL SNAKE was stretched across the path, sunning himself. What an eye-opener first thing in the morning!

I also suffer from the white leg syndrome. You have my full sympathy. :o)

renee said...

Thanks for the review of the yarn. It's knitting up really nicely - love those colors together!

I'm so sorry about that sweater. I just hate it when I do something like that!

Lorraine said...

Not all of us are shrinking violets, where outhouses are concerned. Lovely view of the cabin.

BTW, aren't all Minnesotans albino this time of year? Shouldn't we embrace our winter white skin as a badge of honor for surving the winter? Then again . . .

Heather said...

Ah, this is why I knit both fronts at the same time, now. I was always uneven, too, and the neck of regular sweaters, too, both sides at once. otherwise... I think I get impatient.
And, you like the Magic loop real well? I haven't tried it, and I am really curious. How long a needle do you need? I love my dpns but...well, a girl needs variety.

Guinifer said...

We always called the cabin outhouse the "puka". We drove out to our cabin this weekend (not nearly as far as Ely - we're in Wis.) The dog thought the water was refreshing. The Panda socks look really nice.